I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

same blanks, different labels?
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 17, 2020 10:40AM

I believe there are fewer than maybe four producers of the graphite prepreg used to build fishing rods. What causes blank "A" [which looks the same to the naked eye as blank "B"] to cost up to 30X as much as blank "B"? It doesn't seem like the adhesive or the mandrels used to make the blanks can account for such a huge gap, and the $900 blank does not perform anywhere near thirty times better than the $30 blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: same blanks, different labels?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 17, 2020 10:54AM

Some times they do perform better. The material alone does not create the blank's action or power. That comes from how the material is used - the actual design involved.

And some times they don't perform any better. They are myriad reasons why some blanks cost so much and often they have nothing to do with the blank itself.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 17, 2020 11:08AM

the ones that pay thirty times as much can afford it..that,s why..so far..lol.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 17, 2020 11:52AM

Phil,
One of the big reasons why some blanks cost so much is because the company sells the blank with an unlimited warranty replacement policy. The blank price is elevated to essentially take care of warranty claims in the same way that any other insurance company charges specific rates for various types of insurance. The cost of insurance is such that the company does not lose money for claims and in fact makes money on the policies. Same can be said for some fishing rod blank manufacturers as well as finished rod assemblies.

Date: May 17, 2020 12:06PM

Heaven knows spectacular price differences between parity products flourish far beyond fish poles. Minnie Pearl did not "forget" to take the price tag off her hat. That said, you can't help but admire the artistry of a gifted rod builder no matter what components he or she uses. Claims of superior rod performance are invariably the result of opinions, not measurements.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (135.26.190.---)
Date: May 17, 2020 04:55PM

Phil, you always ask interesting questions, which are difficult to answer, or which require multiple “correct” answers.

I think this one has a simple answer. There will always be people out there who’s egos demand that their toys be the most expensive. They are small demographic, but a loud one.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 17, 2020 05:05PM

I've made lots of rods that other anglers just loved to fish, but they wouldn't own because they didn't have the right label displayed. I bet others have too.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 17, 2020 05:21PM

Spencer, maybe don,t label the rod at all..wouldn,t that drive them crazy..lol. just call it a Spencer Special..lol.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: May 17, 2020 05:46PM

Today I have my optimist hat on. I would like to believe the high end expensive blanks are a result of using premium materials, attention to details and care during the fabrication. Careful processing during the cure cycles and detailed inspection to select the most flawless blanks.The added time required for this effort increases the cost of the blank.

I agree some folks must have the label, some believe it makes them a better fisherman others just need the security of being different or unique and some just want bragging rights.

IMO a good fisherman will use a kids close faced Snoopy rod and reel if its the only thing available when the time arises. One time I was so desperate I used a hand line it was slow but I had fun.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 17, 2020 06:10PM

They sell a lot of high dollar 'free range" eggs too. Beauty's in the eye.

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: May 17, 2020 08:59PM

I'd like to pay 30X's less for the same blank. Fill me in on which blanks they are. I don't have the money to buy top price blanks. I don't know I am good enough to tell the difference any way. The best fly rod I own is a St. Croix Legend. I have built on and fished with a $99 MHX fly blank and I don't notice enough of a difference to even mention. One made in USA and the other offshore. I do like USA made.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 17, 2020 11:21PM

The cost of development are far greater than the costs of copying! I build fly rods across the full spectrum of price points, and I firmly believe there is a vast difference between a CTS blank and a no-name knock-off! But even that difference in $ is not 30X !!

Date: May 18, 2020 07:47AM

In truth no two blanks are the same, no matter how much they cost. But you just might pick up two different bare blanks with no wrapping, no writing, no identification, look them over, wave them around, and have to just plain guess which one is 20 or 30 times more expensive.

Date: May 20, 2020 09:32AM

Todd: TFO fly-rod blanks, BVK's and Axiom II's are a pleasure to cast. Ask around. Test cast them. You won't get them for 1/30th the cost of some rods, but you will like their performance as much or better than that of a $1,200 (!) fly rod and have enough cash left over to buy a couple of months of groceries.

Date: May 20, 2020 04:15PM

Tom: I re-read your post ". . . sometimes they have nothing to do with the blank itself." You should run for political office. You're a natural!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster