I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji vss
Posted by: Jeremy Pollack (---)
Date: May 15, 2020 09:27PM

Made a rookie mistake installing my first Fuji vss seat, I installed the kit using the longer grip as my foregrip so the locking hood would be in the rear aka unlocking. I failed to wait for the glue to dry on the hood and the end of the cork cover the hood stuck to my blank. Was able to get it free but broke off 1/3 of the rear grip. That I plan on just cutting to make it look even but my issue is the dried glue residue on the exposed blank in the rear of the seat. Looking for solutions suggestions, open to any advice thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji vss
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 16, 2020 08:14AM

Jeremey,
I would just use a bit of gentle heat to scrape off the glue residue. When you do this it will likely remove some of the rod finish. If that is the case, I would just do a continuous thread wrap in the area to cover the scraped area. i.e. if you are not needing a grip in that area. If you need a grip in that area and you can add a new grip section from the butt end of the rod, I would do that. Need to do some shaping to get the perfect fit, but it can be done.

The other option, that might be the best option would be to slice open the remaining rear grip, clean up the blank and install a new rear grip from the butt of the rod - assuming that there is nothing behind the grip that you want to install. You will have to build up the rod blank a bit to insure that you have a constant diameter. I would just use a couple of wraps or more as needed with masking tape to make the blank uniform. Then, ream out the new grip to be a constant diameter coat the inside of the grip with glue and the rod blank with glue and slip it into place. Then, wipe off the excess with a paper towel and soak another towel with denatured alcohol to remove any other residual uncured glue from the surface and you should be good to go.

By the way, you did not have a problem or make a mistake. You were just obtaining an education by creating a problem and then coming up with a solution.

Folks pay big money for an education. In this case, it will likely only cost you the price of a new grip.

Take care

Date: May 16, 2020 09:54AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jeremey,
> I would just use a bit of gentle heat to scrape
> off the glue residue. When you do this it will
> likely remove some of the rod finish. If that is
> the case, I would just do a continuous thread wrap
> in the area to cover the scraped area. i.e. if
> you are not needing a grip in that area. If you
> need a grip in that area and you can add a new
> grip section from the butt end of the rod, I would
> do that. Need to do some shaping to get the
> perfect fit, but it can be done.
>
> The other option, that might be the best option
> would be to slice open the remaining rear grip,
> clean up the blank and install a new rear grip
> from the butt of the rod - assuming that there is
> nothing behind the grip that you want to install.
> You will have to build up the rod blank a bit to
> insure that you have a constant diameter. I would
> just use a couple of wraps or more as needed with
> masking tape to make the blank uniform. Then, ream
> out the new grip to be a constant diameter coat
> the inside of the grip with glue and the rod blank
> with glue and slip it into place. Then, wipe off
> the excess with a paper towel and soak another
> towel with denatured alcohol to remove any other
> residual uncured glue from the surface and you
> should be good to go.
>
> By the way, you did not have a problem or make a
> mistake. You were just obtaining an education by
> creating a problem and then coming up with a
> solution.
>
> Folks pay big money for an education. In this
> case, it will likely only cost you the price of a
> new grip.
>
> Take care

Thanks Roger I was thinking of trying some heat and yes I was planning on wrapping over it with a tiger wrap pattern. I ended up trimming down the rear grip with a razor, now it needs some sanding

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: May 16, 2020 11:08AM

I mount the VSS seat down locking, with the no thread hood facing forward toward the tip. I do this because in the up locking position I find that the hood loosens way too much for my liking. I glue the seat in place, and after cured I then screw on the hood. Done this way you will never accidentally glue the hood to the seat or the blank. So if you replace the seat or on your next build try it in the down locking position.
Norm

Date: May 17, 2020 01:10AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I mount the VSS seat down locking, with the no
> thread hood facing forward toward the tip. I do
> this because in the up locking position I find
> that the hood loosens way too much for my liking.
> I glue the seat in place, and after cured I then
> screw on the hood. Done this way you will never
> accidentally glue the hood to the seat or the
> blank. So if you replace the seat or on your next
> build try it in the down locking position.
> Norm
I know that’s how most people mount the vss but I have bigger hands and it fits more comfortable up locking for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster