I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Walleye Jigging Blank
Posted by: Jordan Smith (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 15, 2020 10:18AM

I am going to build a rod for vertical jigging walleye on the Columbia River. We primarily use 1/2 oz jigs with trailers, occasionally reducing or increasing weight depending on the situation. I have had my eye on two blanks: the Rainshadow IMMWS62MXF and the Lamiglas CWB75MH. The Rainshadow seems well-liked by many. The Lamiglas Closer blank seems newer, and I have not found many that have used it. Does anyone have opinions on these two blanks, or are there others that may fit the bill better?

I appreciate everyone's time and thoughts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Walleye Jigging Blank
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 15, 2020 12:26PM

Jordan,
I have built several Walleye Jigging rods on the Rainshadow blank that you mention.

A wonderful blank that has caught us a lot of fish.

Take care

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2020 06:23PM

Both are nice blanks, I think maybe the Lamiglas is built a bit more for the Columbia, as you mentioned we use some pretty heavy jigs with plastic and also heavier blade baits, 3 oz. and heavier bottom bouncers, etc. Makes a difference on where you fish also, the heavy current areas below Bonneville Dam and tailwaters just below the other dams, the deep ledges in the slower parts of the reservoirs, backwater reservoirs like Roosevelt and Moses Lakes, etc. Lastly, how versatile does it have to be, or is it just a jig stick? Only you will know.
I has a few Certified Pro 6 ft. walleye blanks that were used on rods designed by a walleye angler by the name of Ron Boggs for the Columbia and other western reservoirs, you could look at them if your interested and fairly close to the Portland area, or willing to drive some and meet you half way. I built a bunch of rods on these sticks, got enough backbone in them for catching a 25 lb. Chinook that hit my worm rig, largest walleye they handled was 16 lbs., but many a 20 lb. catfish while night fishing.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 16, 2020 04:14PM

What characteristics make a rod blank a good walleye jigging blank?

Posted by: Jeff Saxby (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 16, 2020 09:00PM

I can't get the handle parts I want so I have not built my Lamiglas CWB75MH yet, but I cannot wait to get it done. I am really impressed with the blank. For any walleye baits 3/8 oz or more I think it will be awesome.

I also have built and fish regularly with the IMMWS62MXF and I like it a lot. CWB75MH is more powerful. Both will handle 1/2 oz easy. My opinion, if you are going over 1/2 oz at all, the CWB75MH would be my choice. If 1/2 oz is top end, the IMMWS62MXF would be my choice.

Posted by: Brian Jackson (---)
Date: May 16, 2020 10:29PM

I have built on the Rainshadow 6’8”m in the eternity series and the NFC SJ 703 X-ray. The eternity series is no longer available but I think they have something comparable? In my experience, both blanks are exceptional for jigs in the 1/2oz range down to around 1/4 oz.

Posted by: Brian Jackson (---)
Date: May 16, 2020 11:00PM

Phil
In my experience, (I’m no pro but Ive only build walleye rods) a good jig blank is the lightest available and the most sensitive. I know sensitivity is subjective, but the with the right blank, balanced with the right reel, you can feel the light “tick” of a lethargic walleye bite on almost slack line. Sometimes they’re so “off” that you have to basically hold the weight of the jig up so they’ll take the live bait without feeling the weight of the jig enough to hook up. When they’re on the feed and biting good, anything will do. I’m in Minnesota and we actually do a lot of “dragging” jigs with live bait (.2mph-.5mph). Sometimes the more sensitive blank can tell the difference between dragging into a rock/snag and a fish grabbing the bait especially on windy days. The key is usually using the lightest jig you can while still maintaining a 45 degree line angle. I typically use 1/8oz-3/8oz for this (in lakes; heavier in river current) Hope this helps.

Date: May 17, 2020 03:25AM

In addition to the comment's made by Brian, don't discount the importance of a very light reel.

It makes 0 sense to have a very light jigging rod for sensitivity and feel and then turning it into a "plug" by putting a 10 oz reel on it.

The real key to the best walleye jigging rod is the tip.

If the tip is not light and easy to feel the "tick" of the fish - the rod is a dud as far as walleye jig fishing is concerned.

Take care

Posted by: Jordan Smith (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 17, 2020 01:02PM

Wow-thank you for everyone's thoughts on the IMMWS62MXF and CWB75MH as well as other suggestions. It gives me something to chew on.

For jigging rods, in my experience, Roger hit the nail on the head. I am looking for something light, sensitive, extra fast to fast action, with the lightest, most sensitive tip capable of vertically jigging ~1/2 oz. I seek that sweet spot of enough tip to work the jig but light enough for maximum sensitivity.

I currently use a Loomis 852 jwr IMX but want to try building something a little shorter and more tailored to the application.

Thanks again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2020 01:03PM by Jordan Smith.

Date: May 17, 2020 03:06PM

Jordan,
A few years ago, I picked up St. Croix SCV blanks in the light and the medium light rod blanks.

These are really wonderful blanks and they are my go to rods. I use the light for 1/8th and lighter jigs and possibly 1/4 oz jigs. I use the medium light for 3/8ths and heavier and now and then a 1/4 oz. jig.

Even as I see the tip start to move I am already setting the hook because it just seems that I can feel the shiver of the minnow on the end of the line - just before the Waleye inhales the bait.

Take care

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 18, 2020 01:45AM

For the Columbia IMO you need a Detroit River rod on steroids, heavier current flows, bigger fish, bottoms full of chain, cables, sunk log rafts, underwater sunk reefs, basalt rock ledges and sunk islands, etc.

Posted by: Jordan Smith (---.20.162.228.pnnl.gov)
Date: May 19, 2020 03:59PM

Thanks Spencer. I don't know much about the Detroit River, but I agree that you need a pretty stout stick to jig on the Columbia.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster