I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Advice for 2nd Fly Rod Build
Posted by: Mike Juliana (165.225.50.---)
Date: May 13, 2020 01:44AM

Hi Everyone -
New member to the forum. I just finished my first fly rod build (9' 6 weight) using a turnkey kit. I really enjoyed the process and already have a 2nd blank on order -a 8'6" 4 weight Rainshadow Revelation.
I'm a bit overwhelmed by the sheer number of reel seat choices and guide choices out there.

Guides are a bit easier I think. I'm leaning heavily to Snake Universal Guides. Is the ECO coating worth it?

For guides I'm thinking:
(1) 10mm low-profile stripper
(1) Size 3
(1) Size 2
(2) Size 1
(4) Size 1/0

I've read the debate about dropping as quickly as possible to the smallest guide but I'm not sure my casting ability would notice the difference.

For reel seats, I'm just confused. I don't want to go overboard but want something with a little more class than an all aluminum seat. What are you recommendations for a nice reel seat that is not flush mount for this 4 weight build?

Thanks,
Mike J

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advice for 2nd Fly Rod Build
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: May 13, 2020 08:27AM

Yes, the Eco snakes are worth it.

You do not need the size #3 snake so get rid of it. The size #1 is optional. Make certain the line to leader knot you use will easily pass the size #1/0 snakes. Should be OK but better safe than sorry.

The Snake brand reel seats are available in aluminum and nickel silver, up and down locking, with multiple insert options.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 13, 2020 09:16AM

Right - no need to use so many guide sizes. You may think this provides a more gradual reduction but it doesn't. There is a lot of space between guides and even dropping from the #10 stripping guide directly to the 1/0 snakes is plenty gradual.

Do make sure your smallest snake size is adequate for any connections or knots you need to pass.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 13, 2020 10:01AM

I agree with the advise on Snake Brand Guides, they come in both Bright Nickel and Black Nickel, Snake Brand also sells Reel Seats, which are made by Joel Lemke, real nice stuff and the wood inserts are top shelf if you are not turning your own.
REC also offers very nice reel seat and inserts, while I am not a fan of the Recoil Guides, they are high quality and they do come in Black, if your going to try and match a Black Reel Seat Skeleton with the guides, which REC also offers, Black Reel Seats.
Pacific Bay Minima's are a nice stripping guide, lightweight and they have a good look to them, I use them on a lot of my Carbon and Heavyweight Fiberglass builds.
Anglers Workshop, board sponsor, does carry both brands.

I also would ditch the #3 and #2 snakes, 3 different sizes of guides is plenty, as long as your knots/connections will pass thru them, and I do not see an issue with 1/0 Snake Brand Universals, I use them all the time up to 6wts, even my own builds and I never have a knot/connection hang up.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 13, 2020 12:12PM

Assuming your finished rod will be used exclusively in fresh water your guide choice is wide open. If the flycaster using this rod can't cast farther than 50' the guide choice is strictly a matter of looks and bragging rights. There is little difference between the ability of various fly-rod guides in fighting fish.

Date: May 13, 2020 01:28PM

Thanks for the advice on the guides. This rod will be for me and will become my primary dry fly rod.

Bill - on the REC reel seats, is there a particular model that you like for a 4 weight?

On the Snake Seats, why would one choose the .640 OD barrel vs the .705 OD barrel other than one is slightly bigger than the other in length?

I really like the look of the American Tackle Braided and Infinity seats but I don't know if they would be overkill for a 4 weight?

Thanks,
Mike J

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: May 13, 2020 02:35PM

The .640 OD Snake Brand seat is a bit smaller in diameter and would aesthetically be the preferred seat for a 4 weight carbon fiber rod. It's a 4 weight rod and you'll probably use a proportionally sized reel. Save the larger seat for your 6 weight.

Posted by: Angelo Biviano (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2020 03:07PM

Mike,

I would have to second and third everyone's comments above about snake brand guides and stepping down guide sizes. Just started using Snakes a few builds ago and they are great quality and wrap cleanly. You should consider the lite wire type for a 4 wt.

Regarding your question, "What are you recommendations for a nice reel seat that is not flush mount for this 4 weight build?" If you meant by "not flush mount" a downlocking reel seat, you might check out the ones at Proof Fly fishing. He has pretty nice ones that aren't too expensive and in some traditional styles.

Good luck!

Date: May 13, 2020 05:10PM

So the difference in OD really is aesthetic thing. That's what I thought. Thanks.

By not flush-mounted, I meant one that was inletted into the handle. I would need to find a matching handle as I don't have the skills needed to cut an inlet into the cork.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 13, 2020 06:45PM

Not wanting an inleted seat, for a 4 wt really narrows your choices! Most light weight fly reel seats today are inleted, and most of the non-inleted are for heavier rods. I have seen some spinning reel seats used on light fly rods.

Date: May 13, 2020 07:10PM

Phil - Sorry if I'm saying this wrong and have things backwards. I want a reel seat that is recessed into the handle and not flush mount against the cork. I would need to get a cork that is already allows for this as I don't have the tools/skills to create the opening required in the handle for this.

Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: May 13, 2020 09:07PM

One thing about snakes , the black Nickle is NO where close to black ( why I quit using them) so if you want black go to something else . The cork you want is mortised or hooded . Reel seat the same .

Posted by: Quinn Canfield (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 13, 2020 11:52PM

MIke,
Are you making the grip or buying off the shelf? If you are purchasing a ready made handle you can get them with the mortise already done. Just make sure that the diameter of the hole matches the hood OD of the reel seat.

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 18, 2020 09:37PM

Mike,

If you are interested in using the Snake brand guides, just call them. I think the name of the guy who owns the company is Mike. I've called and talked with him a couple of times, thought he was very knowledgeable and not high pressure at all. I ended up buying my guides and reel seat directly from him. The reel seat is awesome; excellent workmanship and the insert is stunning. The Eco guides were well made, consistent, and the finish is slick as a greased eel. No regrets whatsoever.

Dave Sytsma

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: May 20, 2020 12:47AM

Black nickel is just that, not black. Nor are the seats black, they are a black nickel plated

Posted by: Michael Fridley Jr (172.58.87.---)
Date: May 21, 2020 08:01AM

Be sure to check out the PacBay website for what their current reel seat offerings are.

Like others on this thread, looks can account for a lot in your choice, but I have learned that all metal seats are a better bet for a workhorse rod, no matter what. Then, your next project can be a great looking rod to take out and show off with, but not fished so much. That having been said - Check out Bellinger and Struble seats. REC are great seats, you'd be surprised who actually uses them on factory rods.

Posted by: Mike Juliana (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 21, 2020 07:27PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I went with a Lemke reel seat with a beautiful insert and the snake litewire eco guides. I used the 10mm stripper then went down to #2 and then 1/0 snakes. It's in the rod dryer now. Still have to get better at not leaving thread nubs...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster