I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trying to I.D. a Blank
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: May 12, 2020 07:47PM

Broke one of my favorite rods today. Want to rebuild something similar. No label and my records were destroyed. I know it was a G Loomis. 7 foot fast to extra fast light action borderline med light I would say two piece. Blank was a dark navy blue color flat finish and was built aprox 20 years ago. Trying to narrow it down to a model or two to find a suitable replacement. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trying to I.D. a Blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 12, 2020 08:28PM

The color sounds like a GL2 or 3 model - can't remember which was the matte blue. Two piece popping rod models could be had in fast actions. That might be what you had. Check the specs on the P902 and P904, although these were 7-1/2 footers. I think there were also a P842 and 843 and one of those might have been what you had. They were 7 footers and pretty sure they were available in 2-models.

Date: May 12, 2020 10:39PM

Jogs my memory a bit. GL something sounds familiar as well as the model being 8 something.Checked with NFC. They offer their classic line with a replacement for both the S842 and S843. Unfortunately only in a one piece and way out of my budget. Their FW 702-1 remastered from the S842 seems to line up exactly with my blank's characteristics. The remastered versions of the P842 and 843 are also available and spec out a bit more power as saltwater blanks.

Date: May 12, 2020 10:48PM

Did a little digging on mudhole. Found a MHX that specs out to what I want in a two piece. Interestingly the model is S842-2. As nice as the NFC is I am sure, cannot justify three times the price and cannot do a one piece for this particular rod. Tom thanks for knocking the cobwebs loose and getting enough of my brain cells buzzing to figure this out.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: May 12, 2020 11:35PM

Remember, all the blanks shown on the NFC website are half price. One doesn’t realize this until you put it in your cart. When you check your cart you will see the discount. NFC also charges a $10 excise tax on their blanks. So they are cheaper than you think.
Norm

Date: May 13, 2020 12:25AM

Did not realize that on the NFCs. Still want a two piece blank though.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: May 13, 2020 12:50AM

NFC also has the FW702-2 (IM) and the FW702-2 (SM) both are light powered two piece blanks. One is Intermediate modulus and the other standard modulus. The MHX S842-2 is a very nice blank, I have made a number of them over the years. It is probably similar to the standard modulus NFC, as far as the graphite used.
Norm

Date: May 13, 2020 02:32AM

I am giving a lot of thought to the MHX. Somehow missed the other blanks you mentioned. They would be great options. I know how nice the NFC blanks are. Don't know if I need to spend that much though even at 50 percent off. This rod won't get put in the rotation as much as it used to as my fishing style has changed a bit. Outside of bedding bluegills, which I won't have the rod finished for anyways, rod might not get fished this year even. Got to spec the whole thing out and decide which blank to go with. Thanks for the suggestions and vote of confidence on the MHX.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 13, 2020 09:57PM

You will like one of these Batson blanks:

[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

Take a look at the 7'2" m-l blank.

The model: REVS72ML-2SB

I think it is about perfect for what you want.

Also, the prices of these blanks are not unreasonable.

Date: May 15, 2020 03:58AM

I do like rainshadow blanks. In fact nearly all my builds since I got back into building have been on rainshadow blanks.That particular blank is on the higher end of the power range I am considering. While looking at that blank I found they do offer a UL version of the blank as well.The rod I am replacing was usually about perfect to maybe slightly more power than I needed for how I used it. I prefer to run the slightly under powered than overpowered. I am out to have fun and like to use a lot of finesse techniques. So leaning away from from any ML blank. When I built the original rod I was leaning towards a UL blank but was unable to find a fast or extra fast option. The MHX seems like a near direct replacement. The ul rainshadow might be closer to what I originally envisioned for the rod however. Thanks for the options.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 16, 2020 01:17AM

G Loomis made a 7 ft. long fast action 2 pc. trout rod in three powers, 1-4, 2-6, & 4-8 lb. lines.

Date: May 16, 2020 03:05AM

Wondering around the tackle shop today and handled a few rods similar to the one I broke. Seems to fall into the 4-8 lb class based on the characteristics of factory rods I looked at. I vaguely remember at the time I built this the 1-4 was available which would of been lighter than I wanted but could not recall what the other option was. Could only find two models at the time. Pre internet days of everything being just a click away had to thumb through paper catalogs. Pretty certain blank came from Clemens Custom Tackle.

Got to pull the trigger on the order but pretty much decided on the Rainshadow REVS72UL-2SB. Fits my needs for price I can justify for the amount of use the rod will probable see. Thanks for everyone's help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster