I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

General Question about Rod Finishes
Posted by: Tom Harrigan (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 12, 2020 10:58AM

I'm new to building, still working on terminology, and am seeing and trying things for the first time.

I'm building a fly rod from an inexpensive kit, I've upgraded a few bits and pieces, but for me it's a good way to keep learning.

The blank I bought has a flat finish, that in the sunlight turns from the gray my color-blind eyes thought it was to a deep green.

I noticed that there was a bit of finish near near one of the ferrules, looks like epoxy, and it brought out a beautiful shiny finish that you can see into and see the fiber pattern.

So - my question. Do all carbon fiber rods start with that dull finish and are only given that gloss finish by applying epoxy or another finish?

I'm happy to do the research, I just need some conversational responses so I search using the most useful terms.

Many thanks -

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: General Question about Rod Finishes
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 12, 2020 11:10AM

Hi Tom,
If you go to [ctsfishing.com] you will see various paint colors - including the option of "P2000" which is raw carbon - with no finish at all.
All CTS paint finishes are Auto paint. I would venture a guess that most manufacturers do the same.
There are gloss finishes and Matte (Satin) finish.
There are some manufacturers, i think, that apply another clear-coat over the paint to protect the paint. But while this may somewhat protect the paint it does not protect the blank from damage to any meaningful degree.

Epoxy is not used on the surface of blanks - too heavy.

Just as an aside - all my personal CTS blanks/rods are ordered in P2000 because that results in the lightest build - paint does weigh something. Especially on the tip section.
Regards,
Herb
CTS Rep.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 12, 2020 01:55PM

Gray matte is the carbon fiber color before any finish is applied to the blank. Any color then, is an applied finish of some type, usually a paint as Herb mentions above, some times a urethane clear.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 12, 2020 02:01PM

Tom,
Herb is correct on all counts. He may have misunderstood your question though. I think you were asking if a shinny clear coat will bring out/enhance the appearance of the fiber weave = yes. While it will add weight to the rod, the tip section in particular, the amount is minimal and probably undetectable to the majority of fishermen, even fly fishermen. One thin coat of U40 PermaGloss will provide what you are looking for. I have enjoyed outstanding results with PG on my vintage Conolon blanks to highlight the FG weave just as you are seeking. Punch a hole in a thin, foam cosmetic pad the size of the blank diameter at the midpoint, saturate with PG, wipe it up the blank and back down over about 10-15 seconds and you are done.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tom Harrigan (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 12, 2020 02:12PM

Thanks so much-

This is exactly the sort of info I was looking for.

Tom

Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.179.---)
Date: May 16, 2020 08:32AM

Tom, I am no expert and I have not done this myself, yet, but others here often recommend using a carnauba paste wax on raw carbon blanks to add a shiny finish without any clear coat. Search carnauba. (First search how to spell it correctly - I didn't!).

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 16, 2020 08:45AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster