I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Rod Blank
Posted by: Scott Dacey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 11, 2020 05:36PM

Hi Guys,
Got a question. I just received a new rod blank 7'1" It has a very rough finish, like its still wrapped with material that has not been finished. An overlapping spiral up the blank. I'm just starting out and have never seen this before. Its very weird. I can only imagine if I try to wrap guides I won't be able to pack the threads, its that noticeable. Thanks for the input guys

Dace.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Rod Blank
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 11, 2020 05:42PM

What kind of blank? Who makes it and the model number?

Date: May 11, 2020 05:47PM

Lance Schreckenbach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What kind of blank? Who makes it and the model
> number?

I'd kinda like to keep the manufacturer out of it. I can tell you they are very reputable and if its on them, i'll contact them. Just don't want to throw them under the bus if it turns out I'm an idiot. Its a 7'1" spinning rod blank mod/fast. The surface of the blank feel like saw teeth.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 11, 2020 05:55PM

That's normal with blanks that are not sanded prior to finishing. What you are seeing and feeling are the natural ridges of resin formed by the shrink wrap as the blank was "cooking." When the tape is stripped off those ridges remain.

Date: May 11, 2020 05:55PM

Looking at it again, its seems rougher if you run your thumb from the butt to the tip but smoother from tip to butt. and its real noticeable at the tip. It wasn't a prime blank it was in a priced right kit. Maybe I'll order another one and see. I could always use another rod or 6.

Dace.

Date: May 11, 2020 05:57PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> That's normal with blanks that are not sanded
> prior to finishing. What you are seeing and
> feeling are the natural ridges of resin formed by
> the shrink wrap as the blank was "cooking." When
> the tape is stripped off those ridges remain.
>
> ............

Oh. Can I sand it off? Will there be any damage to the blank? Or should I send it back?

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 11, 2020 06:03PM

I have an unfinished blank from NFC, one of the Delta models I am about to start working on. This blank has ridges running the length of the rod as well, like Tom said its the resin from when the blank was formed. I actually kinda like the look of the rod, it's different from the smooth graphite on the rest of my rods. Not to hijack, but it maybe helpful for the original poster as well, not interested in sanding the blank. Not having wrapped on an unfinished blank like what we both have, should I be changing to size D thread rather than the A I have, or will the ridges have no impact on the wrap itself. Again don't wanna hijack the topic, thought it may help us both.

Date: May 11, 2020 06:09PM

Jay Burns Wrote:
> I have an unfinished blank from NFC, one of the
> Delta models I am about to start working on. This
> blank has ridges running the length of the rod as
> well, like Tom said its the resin from when the
> blank was formed. I actually kinda like the look
> of the rod, it's different from the smooth
> graphite on the rest of my rods. Not to hijack,
> but it maybe helpful for the original poster as
> well, not interested in sanding the blank. Not
> having wrapped on an unfinished blank like what we
> both have, should I be changing to size D thread
> rather than the A I have, or will the ridges have
> no impact on the wrap itself. Again don't wanna
> hijack the topic, thought it may help us both.

Hi Jay, Yeah, I kinda like the finish too, I was just curious about the finish on it. I was going to use size D thread anyway but I still think its going to be hard to pack the threads. I was thinking maybe after I get my guide spacing I would run some epoxy around the blank only in those locations the guides are going. I've got plenty of Urethane Spar Varnish, I could build up those areas pretty good.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 11, 2020 06:39PM

Why don't you just ask the manufacturer?

Posted by: Steven Bloomfield (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 11, 2020 07:14PM

I've wrapped 2 Deltas and an X-Ray from NFC . The ridges had no affect at all. I used mostly A size metallic thread on the butt wraps. And A size ncp on the guides.

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 11, 2020 07:19PM

Perfect, was planning to use Fuji NCP Size A on the wrap, didn't think there would be an issue, figured I would ask. Thanks Steven.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 11, 2020 07:22PM

Why do I feel like I'm at a car show wearing a blindfold?

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 11, 2020 07:33PM

Get a sanding block with 120 grit and go to town on it. Knock off the high spots and then drop down to a finer grit like 220. It'll only take about 15 minutes to come up with a nice smooth blank just like from the factory.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 11, 2020 08:50PM

Ridges are cool.

Posted by: Paul Park (---.bcstcmtk03.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 11, 2020 09:50PM

I'm confused. Why not just mention the manufacturer so we can tell you if it's supposed to be that way or not? I know Point Blank and NFC have rods that are unsanded or only partially sanded. I like the look and feel. I know you can sand it off to get the blank smooth like Dennis mentioned. I had no issues wrapping guides onto my NFC X-Ray Blank with ridges.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 12, 2020 12:43AM

Why not just try a test wrap ? First hand experience is always the best experience.

Date: May 12, 2020 02:01AM

I remember the old solid fiberglass rods/blanks came with a healthy dose of slivers, give me ridges any day.

Date: May 12, 2020 02:02AM

I remember the old solid fiberglass rods/blanks came with a healthy dose of slivers, give me ridges any day.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 12, 2020 07:46AM

For many years Shakespeare "Wonder Rods" had spiral ridges. It was their trademark. They sold piles of them.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 12, 2020 07:55AM

Some consider a sanded blank to be weaker than the non sanded ones (sanding, if not done perfectly, can damage the outer graphite fibers). Others like a sanded blank because removing the resin results in a lighter, faster speed blank.

Unhanded blanks often cost a bit less because there is less labor involved - a step has been saved. But this is not a defect nor does it overly affect rod performance.

I wouldn't recommend any builder trying to hand sand a non sanded rod blank. Not much room for error near the fine diameter tips.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster