I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: New Rod Blank
Posted by: Jason Haney (---.mountainresearch.com)
Date: May 12, 2020 09:20AM

I've built 3 or 4 Deltas, now. The ridges REALLY caught me off guard when I first unpackaged the blank. Reached out to a few builders/researched this forum and found you can sand them or leave them. I left them for fear of sanding too much and weakening the blank. I wrapped over them with size B thread, the ridges actually seem to help hold the thread. I wouldn't hesitate to order more Deltas because they're made in the USA and in my price range during sales.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 12, 2020 02:05PM

If you are going to sand the blank, do not use anything rougher than 320 grit. It will knock off the ridges plenty quick and be less likely to get into the carbon fibers. I have done a couple at the customers request and they turned out fine. Care and Patience!

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 12, 2020 03:09PM

The reason I asked the manufacturer and the model was because some blanks are supposed to have ridges whereas sometimes you will get a better deal on a unfinished blank that is offered. It does not reflect badly on the manufacturer.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 12, 2020 04:46PM

I have built on the NFC blanks with the ridges and found no issue with wrapping or packing size "A" thread. Note, their new Iconoglass rods also have the ridges, however they do not seam as pronounced as those on carbon fiber.

By the way, the Iconoglass is a very nice blank! Lighter and smaller diameter than many other fiberglass blanks. I have not fished it, but have done some test casting and really like the action!

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 12, 2020 09:43PM

If you sand it, wear a mask.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: May 12, 2020 09:49PM

If you insist on sanding the blank, wet sand it using a fine wet/dry paper. I use 800 to 1500 grit, and it still goes very quickly. The resin ridges sand down very easily since they are softer than the graphite. The resin residue while sanding will be white, you don’t want to see a gray residue while sanding, that would mean you’re down to the graphite. The fine grit wet/dry paper is fine enough not to cause damage to the blank, but rather it’s more like you’re polishing the blank.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 12, 2020 10:58PM

ditto on Norman's comment about sanding.

By the way, when I wet sand a blank, I go outside on a nice day, with a 5 gallon bucket with several inches of nice warm water in the bucket. I just keep the butt of the rod in the bucket with the rod blank vertical. That way, all of the sanding slurry just goes into the bucket so it makes for a nice clean and quick process.

Take care

Posted by: Scott Dacey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2020 12:15PM

I appreciate all the comments regarding the blank. From what I learned you can either keep them or sand them off. I was more interested in the wrapping over a course blank but it seems my fears were for naught. I've already assembled the seat and grips and glued them up last night. As I said earlier , and agreeing with another poster, I kind of like the rough finish. Its different. Before I start wrapping though, I think i'll measure out my guides and apply a half inch of epoxy where they are to go, just to smooth it out some and make packing the thread easier... i hope.

In regards to the supplier, I was hesitant to bring them into it at this point only because I wasn't sure if it was a defect or not and I had made a mistake with this supplier before and called them out on an issue that was clearly my fault.

Again, thanks for all the responses.

Dace

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: October 27, 2020 02:57PM

I just finished building 6 unsanded blanks I got from Get Bit. Good looking rods and the thread laid on nicely.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster