I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Labels
Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 09, 2020 05:26PM

I want to make some labels for rods to note rod details, CCS values, owners name, etc. I searched and found some discussions on the forum, but they are older. Saw some references to label makers like the P-touch, the K-sun, and inkjet printing. What are people using and how satisfied are they with the results? I was hoping to not sink hundreds of dollars into this venture. I especially like the decals that have tape on both sides so you can stick to the blank and then remove the top layer to get a clean application. Can these be made at a reasonable cost at home?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Labels
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 09, 2020 08:24PM

Decal Connection, a supplier on the left can do what you want. They are the "go to" source for a great many of us! Lots of options, take a look at their web site with the link on the left.

Debbie is wonderful to work with if you have questions or problems!

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 09, 2020 08:34PM

Ed,
I think that you have the best interest of the affected posts at heart.

But in reality, it make 0 difference what a label says on the rod.

The only thing that they really care about is whether they can catch a fish on the rod or not.

I as a rod builder would be interested for such a label.

But, I as a fisher person has 0 interest in such a label.

Of course, your choice.

Take care

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 10, 2020 08:50AM

Specs on the rod get to be important when one has a large number of rods. I put CCS values on every rod so that it's easy to compare the power and action.

If trying this with inkjet make sure to use original equipment ink. Even that is not as UV stable as it should be, but with refilled ink you just don't know what you'r going to get.

Decal connection is a great source and their labels are UV stable, but for labels with specific specs, the setup makes it impractical. One solution is to have your custom rod logo done by Decal Connection and write the specs on with india ink. Doc Martens (spelling?), if left on the rod overnight, will take a coat of CP without running, then the epoxy won't affect it.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 10, 2020 12:08PM

Decal Connection can make just about any label you wish. I have them make my labels with my logo and all the rod specs I wish to put on the rod.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: May 11, 2020 02:47PM

I LOVE that rod, Ima get another one just like it! Wait, there's no information anywhere on it! Dang.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 11, 2020 05:18PM

Took me a while, Jim, but I got it. Right on.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 11, 2020 07:48PM

Dr. Hanneman suggested at least listing the DBI (Defined Bending Index) which is a combination of the AA and ERN expressed simply as AA/ERN. There is no reason you couldn't add additional information on the label as well, but one thing I'd recommend is a serial number be inscribed on the rod which you then record in your order book that details every component used on the rod and how it was built. It means a couple things - your customer has to come back to you for the specifics and you will indeed have all that information on hand in your order record book for posterity when or if it may be needed.

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 11, 2020 10:58PM

I do uniquely number them. I keep a spreadsheet with all the details as you suggest. I take pictures of each part of the rod and keep it all in an electronic folder for my records. Sounds like the best thing to do is add the mfg's label, add the unique number and leave it at that.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 14, 2020 11:14AM

Inkjet printing on tracing paper which is then wet with thin epoxy, applied, dried before epoxy topcoat looks good enough for many anglers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster