I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to wrap a guide near the ferrule?
Posted by: Damon Webb (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 09, 2020 03:28PM

As the title says, I am building a 2 piece fly rod and of course one of the guides is very close to the ferrule. I am going to incorporate the guide wrap and ferrule wrap into one wrap but have a question. Typically you start a guide wrap from off the guide and work towards the center. On a ferrule wrap you start on the outside and work towards the ferrule. Here is my dilemma. Do I use one wrap starting from the center of the guide working towards the ferrule, which is opposite of how I normally would, or do I use two wraps, wrapping the guide first and then the ferrule doing both in the normal direction?

Sorry if there are other threads on this, but a search came up with nothing I could find.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to wrap a guide near the ferrule?
Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: May 09, 2020 04:03PM

The ferrule and the guide are independent components.I would do two separate wraps as you normally do.
If you should have issues with one the other is not affected.

Have fun

John

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 09, 2020 04:15PM

Damon, try this, start your wraps and slip the guide under the last wrap then continue to wrap down the guide foot towards the toe then off the toe to the ferrule edge and whip finish..all in one shot..this is the way i wrap all guides..no messing with tape, glues, or rubber bands tu hold the guide in place.. these fingers don,t work so well anymore..

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 09, 2020 04:30PM

Here is how I do it. Start the wrap at the edge of the ferrule, continue the wrap on up the foot of the guide finishing as normal. One continuous wrap. In some cases it requires adjusting the gude placement, so that the wrap is not too long.

Date: May 09, 2020 04:57PM

All good suggestions. Thank you gentlemen and I'll let you know which works for me!

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 09, 2020 08:45PM

I have done a lot of these wraps and I do this wrap just in exactly the same way as I do any other wraps.
I start below the guide, wrap up and over the guide foot and up over the back side of the guide foot and continue onto the ferrule until i get to the edge of the ferrule. At that point I will have already installed a pull thread and at that point insert the the wrapped thread into the pull thread and pull it back under the wrap and you are done with a perfect wrap.

Not complicated, just just wrap the guide as usual and continue the wrap until the ferrule is wrapped and finish the wrap. easy peasy.

take care

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 10, 2020 06:44PM

I do as Phil Erickson said.

Date: May 10, 2020 07:17PM

I did two wraps. I wrapped the guide foot then did the ferrule wrap. It worked really well and turned out very nice and clean.

Date: May 10, 2020 08:37PM

it will look even cleaner without the ferrule wrap..i like the one piece look of flyrods without ferrule wraps especially four piece rods..too much clutter..

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 11, 2020 10:33AM

Not all rods let you get away with no ferrule wraps, follow your manufactures guidelines.

Date: May 11, 2020 10:50AM

good point Spencer which begs the question, who will not honor their warranty for a break at the ferrule if you didn,t use a ferrule wrap..i don,t build for sale but many of you do..maybe you can name some of these rod manufacturers..Thanks..

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 11, 2020 11:31AM

Never had a ferrule break.

Date: May 11, 2020 12:35PM

i guess that,s because you make such excellent ferrule wraps Phil..lol.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 11, 2020 07:46PM

The best guaranteed for life without wrapping ferrule can be made stronger with a wrap.

Date: May 11, 2020 08:40PM

i just think that there is way too many chunks of epoxy hanging on a flyrod..we don,t need ferrule wraps, we don,t need double foot guides of any kind with the two wraps and the two chunks of epoxy per wrap..the rod is so much cleaner looking and responsive without them..leaner and meaner..lol..jmo.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 14, 2020 06:59PM

I suspect moving a guide in the middle of a rod an inch or two closer to or further from the butt than the "recommended distance" could not be reliably distinguished from a rod with "perfectly located" guides - not even by an accomplished flycaster who is wearing a blindfold.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster