I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides for nymph rod
Posted by: Dale Thompson (---)
Date: May 09, 2020 11:44AM

Hi, folks. I am in the planning stages for a 10ft 3 or 4 wt nymph rod. I will probably go with the Sage ESN blank (specifically for the action/power). I want the finished rod to be a light as possible. I'm looking for guide recommendations - I am thinking single foot REC recoil from what I am reading. I would, however; like to know the action weights of various guides - REC, Snake, Fuji, PacBay, etc. Anyone know where I can find this info?

Dale Thompson
Small-time fly rod builder

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides for nymph rod
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 09, 2020 11:57AM

Dale, please define action weights..thanks.

Posted by: Dale Thompson (---)
Date: May 09, 2020 12:02PM

oops
Actual weights

Dale Thompson
Small-time fly rod builder

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 09, 2020 12:15PM

You're not going to beat the REC s/f or snakes.
Actual weight of blank will not provide you with the desired result. The only way to compare is the "weight-in-hand".
You should take a 2nd look at the CTS.
Herb
CTS

Posted by: James Taylor (172.92.71.---)
Date: May 09, 2020 12:59PM

We recommend our ALPS MXN size 16 and 12 then go into the ALPS XHSNG Standard Wire Guides

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 09, 2020 01:35PM

WHOA ! No way you need size 16 & 12 on a 3 or 4 weight rod, especially for nymph fishing. 12 &10 or even 10 & 8 are sufficiently large enough.

Posted by: James Taylor (172.92.71.---)
Date: May 09, 2020 01:52PM

That's our setup / blueprint for our 10'6" Eternity Nymphing rod. But that's why it's custom rod building, everyone wants something a little different.

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WHOA ! No way you need size 16 & 12 on a 3 or 4
> weight rod, especially for nymph fishing. 12 &10
> or even 10 & 8 are sufficiently large enough.

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 09, 2020 02:46PM

IMO - Phil is correct - if your aim is nymphing you really don't even NEED a ceramic stripper.
But to be practical I would use one ceramic guide -say a #10 - and then go right to REC Nickel Titanium Recoils.

Herb

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: May 09, 2020 02:56PM

The Alps single foot fly guide in LIght Wire vare very light too (nearly as Light alors s Recoil single foot).
I use Theméricourt for long Light Line Nymph fly rod

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 10, 2020 07:38AM

What guides would be best for one fly rod used for BOTH for nymphs and for streamers? When one type of fly isn't getting hits I usually switch to another type of fly, but I don't switch rods.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2020 11:13AM

Size 10 for the Stripper, I am not a fan of single foots, but to each his own. I am a big fan of Snake Brand Universals or REC Recoils, both are the best guides on the market in my opinion. No reason to use a second running guide a size smaller of the same style as your stripper, just adds unnecessary weight, follow it out with the least amount of changes in guide sizes, example: 10, 2, 1, then rest 1/0 to the tip top, that would be for a Snake Brand Universal.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 10, 2020 09:06PM

The recipe used by Sage for that rod is on their web site.

Posted by: Angelo Biviano (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 11, 2020 05:51PM

Dale, I did same as Bill mentions above on my last euro-nymph build.

One 8mm stripper, 3, 2, 1, then all 1/0s with Snake brand LITE wire. Honestly, when I euronymph, it's pretty much only mono running through the guides, and the small snakes can easily hand a competition fly line or even a 3-4 weight. I thought the 1/0s were going to be too small, but really glad I went with that. They're lighter too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster