I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Multiple Thread Cross Wraps
Posted by: Colter Welch (---.185.86.103.poc.id.digis.net)
Date: May 08, 2020 07:48AM

Hello all. New member to the site. I’ve built about 12 rods now and feel like I’m getting most things down. One thing I’m struggling with is pulling multiple threads at once while doing a cross wrap. I’ve tried finding info on this without much luck. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of info on it, and what I have found didn’t work. Simply hoping to speed up certain parts of the process in order o save my back a little soreness.

Thanks in advance to all.

Colter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Multiple Thread Cross Wraps
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 08, 2020 09:30AM

Cut the threads to length and run them through your fingers. With a little practice you will get the feel for keeping the threads level and properly aligned, with any twists coming out behind your fingers.

Don't try to do this off-the-spool. The threads need to be able to untwist a bit off their tail ends. If you try to work off the spools this becomes very difficult if not impossible.

Date: May 08, 2020 10:02AM

I have tried that method but still seem to struggle with the tangling of the threads. I usually give up and go back to one thread at a time out of frustration. Perhaps I need to just be more patient and practice it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 08, 2020 11:18AM

It does take a bit of practice. In use, I find that limiting yourself to 4 threads at a time makes things easier. You can do more, but 2, 3 or 4 seems to be within the realm of most people's abilities at the outset.

Here's another tip - when you have cut your threads and have them in your fingers' grasp, use your other hand to run down the threads behind your fingers and stroke out some of the initial twist.

Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 09, 2020 07:16AM

get yourself to one of the NERBS gatherings with Billy Vivona and learn the process...

Date: May 09, 2020 09:00AM

That would be an amazing experience. I live in Idaho, and there aren’t many rod builders anywhere near me, especially when you’re talking advanced techniques. I’ve taught myself from videos and reading this forum, which has been rewarding but difficult. Really would be nice to have a professional nearby.

Date: May 09, 2020 09:13AM

Also, spent some time last night trying what Tom suggested and was very patient. Turns out it does work pretty well when I don’t get frustrated and just go back to single threads. Thanks for the advice! I’ll have to post some pictures of some of my wraps on here.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 09, 2020 10:16AM

Colter, i think teaching yourself is the best part of the process..your mind is more open and youl be amazed by the things you "stumble " upon..lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster