I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji K-Series Titanium frames discontinued?
Posted by: James W Cook (---.221.158.104.in-addr.arpa)
Date: May 07, 2020 09:58PM

I'm just wondering what's up with the Fuji K-Series titanium frame Alconite and SiC rings.

Have these been discontinued?

Every build supply site I've been to has been met with "no longer available" or "sold out" or "out of stock".

I had to settle for another brand of Ti-framed rings to get a complete guide train.

Anybody else getting these issues with Fuji rings?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji K-Series Titanium frames discontinued?
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 07, 2020 10:24PM

James,
Fuji still makes their Ti frame K series guides but now only available in Torsite or SiC rings. Alconite was dropped from the Ti guides about three years ago, much to the dismay of many, myself included. None the less, I am still a Fuji fan!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 08, 2020 12:18PM

Are these in truth an alloy of titanium (NiTi) which I have been using for a couple of decades or are they truly solid titanium guides? If so, what are the advantages of 100% titanium guides versus alloys of titanium such as NiTi?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 08, 2020 01:05PM

Ask Fuji. I doubt that any frame is 100% Ti, even though some makers say theirs are. Alloying allows for tuning the characteristics. Think the difference between REC Ti-nickel guides and other more rigid Ti frames. I believe that alloying is done with Ti especially for formability, which has to be a big priority for guide frames. If we had 100% Ti we might not even like it. I can tell you that the Fuji and Alps Ti guides are very good and if there is some alloy in there, they sure knew what they were doing when they put them in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2020 04:29PM by Michael Danek.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 08, 2020 11:44PM

Touché’ Michael, I agree.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: James W Cook (---.221.158.104.in-addr.arpa)
Date: May 09, 2020 07:57AM

Apparently Fuji did discontinue its Ti-framed Alconites and what's left out there are mostly remnants that won't make a complete guide train.

The good news is American Tackle, Alps, and Pac Bay all have titanium-framed guides.

Procuring anything in this category these days seems pretty tricky. A COVID-19 lockdown thingy, maybe?

Feedback from the various rod-build suppliers I contacted include having to cancel the order for lack of available stock, being informed they're "not in stock" or "awaiting delivery on an upcoming date" or getting refunded for the same.

I did locate a complete guide train of Ti-frame guides by Pac Bay. I'm just hoping the supplier can fill the order.

Happy rod-building, folks!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 09, 2020 09:45AM

James, please email me. thanks, Mick

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: May 11, 2020 03:02PM

Fuji has Titanium in SiC and TORZITE in K-Series guides and a beautifully executed Black Titanium called T2. 100% Titanium is buttery soft. Fuji's Titanium Alloy is extremely strong, very light and has proven itself over decades of use. Look closely and you will also notice the U-channel design in a cross-section of the frame leg which adds even more strength to the lightest guide frames available. Additionally, Fuji Titanium frames are still manufactured in Japan and get a great deal of special attention during the process.

Posted by: Casey Rendall (---)
Date: May 17, 2020 01:29AM

Sea guide also offers titanium framed tangle free style as well. Have a couple sets and they aren’t bad for what they cost

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster