I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod wrapper and or lathe
Posted by: Carl Butler (---)
Date: May 07, 2020 07:58PM

I’m thinking about getting a power wrapper, which should i consider?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod wrapper and or lathe
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 07, 2020 08:05PM

Carl,
Several to choose from. They will all work.

Some work a bit better than others.

The one important thing with a good power wrapper is an excellent chuck and an excellent motor and speed control system.

Best wishes

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 07, 2020 08:30PM

Like Roger said, look at the Flexcoat wrappers, slip clutch/self centering chucks, V-blocks, foot . Pretty much the production wrapping and finish benches at Lamiglas, though they were made at the factory. Their catalogs have pictures of the benches, well worn and nothing fancy.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 07, 2020 09:38PM

You will learn how to use whatever you get. Think of what you would like it do and get whatever is closest to that. I started doing everything by hand on my lap with a homemade stand and no motors. After doing it that way for almost 20 years I found a damaged Pac Bay wrapper with extra drying motor for $35 at a tent sale at the Cabelas in Gonzales, LA. I bought that and put an Alps upgrade chuck on it replacing the Pac Bay one. When I first got it about 10 years ago, without the upgrade, I had to learn how to use it. Now it seems natural. There are just a lot of good wrappers out there and no exact one is going to be perfect, so think about what you need it do and pick the one that fits the best. An extra drying motor is also a great idea.

Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.68.---)
Date: May 07, 2020 10:20PM

Renzetti....top dollar, arguably best on the market. Forecast from Batson,...great intro, so close to the Pac Bay machine that it's a toss up. Batson's Alps machine with upgraded chuck is rapidly becoming the standard. Custom Power Wrap (CPW) from Anglers Workshop now (I think)old school standby. Great machine. Pick your poison...and your price point.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.153.18.98.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: May 08, 2020 12:47AM

Renzetti if you can afford it. ALPS is the way to go on an affordable budget.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 08, 2020 01:33AM

Many overlook the rotation direction of the common, one way AC motors installed on most power wrappers. These units will only wrap from behind and over the top toward you. Many are comfortable with that direction and so be it. However, I find wrapping from low, in front and over the top away from me MUCH more natural and easier when performing more intricate wraps involving frequently adding/dropping threads, vine leafs, open spirals and such. A reversible DC motor is the only way to go, for other reasons as well, and you may end up employing Roger Wilson to assist in accomplishing such to upgrade the commercially available units.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Mike Laver (---.home4.cgocable.net)
Date: May 08, 2020 09:29AM

After upgrading my wrapper with an alps chuck and DC motor, with reverse wrapping contol and variable speed for drying and my crosswraps, I am thinking if I knew what I know now, I would buy the parts and make my own if I had to start over again. I think it would actually be about the same cost and you get a better unit. Just needs a fair amount of research for parts and a little electrical knowlege.

Posted by: Keith Langford (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 08, 2020 11:26AM

I am brand new to rod building, but I just received my power wrapper/dryer combo from Alps and it is very nice, 2 4' aluminum tracks with the 2 motors and chuck attached to the left end, 3 support stands with rollers and spring lock on 2 and sliding on the other, very nice unit and way cheaper and better built than the other brand I originally purchased where the dryer and wrapper were separate and only had a v shaped metal stand. Night and day difference in quality in my opinion. I got mine from Get Bit Outdoors

Keith Langford

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 08, 2020 01:07PM

Carl,
I forgot to address the title of your topic; a lathe will do all a power wrapper can do but a power wrapper cannot do all a lathe can. Ultimately, the best case scenario is to have a separate wrapper and lathe, mostly to confine shaping dust generated from turning grips AWAY from the wrapper where you will be performing thread and finish operations. My shop has restricted space and thus do not have the luxury. I totally agree with Mike in building your own if you are capable but it is very easy to spend more money to get a better unit. I spent over $600.00 in parts plus a lot of machining time to fabricate my original power wrapper almost five years ago and recently upgraded the unit with a 3-jaw chuck, headstock, tailstock with live center, a more powerful DC motor, tool rest and vacuum dust control. The upgrade cost over $400.00. But at the risk of sounding boastful, my lathe/wrapper blows away anything else, Renzetti included, and is precise, easy and a joy to use.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Carl Butler (---)
Date: May 13, 2020 09:37AM

I have a Wen 8” bench lathe now for which I would like to get a 3- jaw chuck. I’m still thinking of getting a rod wrapping lathe. I do like the option of having both for doing different work. I would like to thank everyone for their responses. Carl

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster