I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crooked Lamiglas blanks
Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: May 07, 2020 01:07PM

Hey...has any body had much experience with Lamiglas blanks? I have ordered and built and 4, 2 piece spin blanks and every one has been crooked. So crooked that they are hard to apply finish because of the bend. I thought I'd try one more because they were marked down and then 20% more off. It came today and the tip has a healthy permanent bend in it. Is this normal? I just finished a North Forks and a MHX and they were real straight. Anybody? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crooked Lamiglas blanks
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 07, 2020 01:40PM

Not my experience.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 07, 2020 04:34PM

Not my experience either.

Date: May 07, 2020 04:54PM

Then I must just have some bad luck. I am only buying the G1000 pro series. They aren't the high end stuff but the msrp on MHX is less than the MSRP on the Lamiglas and all of them have been very straight. Maybe I'm expecting too much also. Is it common to have some bends in the blanks? I think the reg. price of this Lamiglas was $120 but I paid $60. Thanks for your responses.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 07, 2020 05:06PM

A gentle overall curve along the blanks is neither unusual nor harmful.

Posted by: David Miller (---)
Date: May 07, 2020 09:23PM

Here is what they say on their website in their clearance section “Items not guaranteed to be perfectly straight, but are guaranteed to be structurally sound. “ Sounds like some or many of the clearance blanks are cosmetic seconds.I agree with Tom that a slight curve is no issue just build it with the tip up so the blank looks straight looking from above.

Date: May 08, 2020 08:33AM

Thanks. I never saw that quote. I had one blank tip so bent that I had to cut it off an inch. I guess I need to live with it or stop buying their clearance blanks. I don't like crooked.

Posted by: David Miller (---)
Date: May 08, 2020 10:04PM

This is also quoted about the clearance blanks “Items may only be returned if found to be defective within 30 days.”

A crooked blank that bad I would say is defective.

Date: May 09, 2020 08:16AM

Thanks David! Didn't see that either. I need to pay attention.

Posted by: Ray Raff (---.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: May 12, 2020 08:23PM

I got 4 blanks from them. 1 Si, 1 Closer, 1 Infinity, and 1 prototype composite blanks. The Closer, SI, and Inf are all almost perfect. The composite blank was a little off in the center where the two composites meet but nothing unbuildable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster