I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Your favorite handle material
Posted by: Chris Jaenke (140.225.44.---)
Date: May 06, 2020 10:26PM

What's your favorite handle material?

Are you a traditionalist and prefer cork? Maybe you like the tacky grip of the Winn handles. Maybe a plain black EVA is more your style. Have you gone to the dark side and built with carbon fiber materials?

Let's here some of your favorite handles and why you like them!
Feel free to post opinions on handle materials you don't like too!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Your favorite handle material
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 06, 2020 11:00PM

Only cork.
Herb

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 07, 2020 02:15AM

I'm stuck in the middle of the fence between better grades of cork and CFX Carbon grips. Clear cork is so attractive, comfortable, and familiar, but it's getting hard to find and very pricey. CFX Carbon grips have a nice, sensitive, secure feel and are well shaped. I really wanted to like the solid carbon grips, but after building and fishing one, I'm still not there. Mine doesn't feel like a comfortable or secure grip when when I cast. I'm going to continue using it and see how long it takes to get past how different it is from everything else.

I've never built with Winn because every used rod I've seen with them looks shaggy and worn. EVA has a good feel for fore grips on salt rods when some cushioning is desireable. It's probably okay on an inexpensive spare rod, but the foam just seems a bit out of place on non-economy builds.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2020 02:39AM by Kendall Cikanek.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: May 07, 2020 03:34AM

Cork. Period.

No! Wait!

I am actually thinking about using a carbon grip on one of my next rods, though not on fly rods. Fly is cork hands down.

Posted by: Wade Hirai (---)
Date: May 07, 2020 05:08AM

I love the foam core carbon fiber grips. Super durable, lightweight and look cool. Easy to clean too.

The Winn grips feel really good but I worry about durability. My Winn golf club grips wear out really fast.

All my salmon trolling rods have texalium or carbon fiber tubing, it's easier getting them out of the rod holder.

Posted by: Tom Harder (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2020 05:54AM

I guess Cork. Although I've made so many changes I can hardly count them all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2020 06:24AM by Tom Harder.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: May 07, 2020 07:13AM

Cork for the rear grip.
Foam core carbon fiber for the fore grip.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 07, 2020 07:14AM

Since I like to get specific shapes of my design I prefer burl cork. Easy to turn to shape, comes in a lot of different looks, is attractive, is durable, and when treated, is easy to clean (and keep clean).

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 07, 2020 07:54AM

Depends on the rod type.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2020 08:39AM

Cork is my favorite.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: May 07, 2020 09:05AM

Not sure about "the dark side" - But carbon fiber is my go to for most applications.

[www.americantackle.us]

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Tim Kipp (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2020 09:24AM

My absolute favorite look is birch bark, birch bark cork mix.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 07, 2020 10:05AM

toss-up between flocked or textured cork grips..

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 07, 2020 11:02AM

Hello All.

I'm with Tom it depends on the rod type, I like cork or wood on ultra-light too light, EVA or CF on medium, and Tuff-Butt or Aluminum on heavy.

P.S. Salt Builder.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 07, 2020 02:06PM

Carbon tube, or Texalium for rods that go in rod holders, self made foam core carbon sleeve or cork for rods I hold. The new carbon grips like the ones from AmTack came out, no one has mentioned their weight, When the tube grips mentioned above and the carbon sleeve over foam grips came out there were lots of discussion about weight and sensitivity. Have heard nothing about the newer stuff and their bling rings, etc. Still can't get my head around why I would want to use a Minimal spinning reel seat, or go back to the dinky 16 mm pipe reel seats, they were uncomfortable before and still are.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 07, 2020 04:03PM

Spencer, agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 07, 2020 04:39PM

Only build fly rods, and almost never us e cork anymore. I make exotic wood grips as my specialty and very much like carbon fiber grips if not my wood.

Posted by: Quinn Canfield (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 07, 2020 06:31PM

Cork for me. Easy to replace and easy to customize. I end up replacing the cork some my saltwater spinning rods after 3 years or so. Fly rods and spey rods far less frequently. If I did not have the ability to build my own I would probably experiment with other materials.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 07, 2020 10:22PM

Here is how I look at it: Natural cork is the lightest material available but also good Flor grade cork is expensive. It is categorized in many different ways but generally Flor Grade is the best quality and it is expensive. Foam core Carbon Fiber is probably the next lightest followed by EVA. Winn has been in the grip business for well over 20 years, with my first experience with it in golf club grips. It has always been a temporary solution because it deteriorates somewhat rapidly; Cork, EVA and Carbon will out last Winn grips more than twice as long or better. Burl cork has good longevity but is heavy compared to natural cork, with rubberized cork being almost indestructible but being very heavy. Burnt burl is probably lighter than regular burl but still not as light as natural cork. In using the weight of the material, it is best to put heavier materials in the butt end of the rod. The heavier weight in the very end of the rod creates a fulcrum where the hand and the grip interface, this being with the reel mounted. The butt weight moves the balance of the entire rod, so by adjusting it you can make a better balanced rod (Captain Obvious). Good luck, hope this helps. Please remember that what is going right now is the suppression of our freedom and liberties. America needs to go back to work as well as the entire world. This virus is not going away and some point you will be exposed. People that have a compromised immune system, should stay out of the public and take the necessary precautions and use PPE, the rest of us need to go along as we would normally do. I would not usually post something like this but I believe we are reaching a point of "no return" and if we do not do something, all of our lives will be affected or changed much greater than any virus could do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2020 10:29PM by Lance Schreckenbach.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 07, 2020 10:41PM

all great points Lance, top to bottom..Thanks..

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster