I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help choosing blank for Kayak fishing
Posted by: Chris Jaenke (140.225.44.---)
Date: May 06, 2020 11:49AM

Hello,

I've decided to embark on my next rod build and would like some help in deciding on a blank.

I will be building this rod for the purpose of bass fishing from a kayak. This will be my go to All-purpose rod for kayak fishing.I would like a blank that is between 6'6" and 7'. I plan on using this rod for light Texas rigs, spinner baits, bladed jigs, squarebill crankbaits, and topwaters that aren't frogs. I find that fishing from a kayak reduces my ability to drive a hook home when setting the hook - unless I use braid. Since I will be using braid, I would like the rod to have a little bit of give to it to keep treble hooks pinned, but also enough back bone to get a good hookset with a Trig or bass jig.

I've looked at a few blanks and a couple form the Rainshadow line jumped out at me:

Eternity:ETEC68M-SS -
[getbitoutdoors.com]

Immortal:IMMC68M-TC -
[getbitoutdoors.com]

The eternity blank jumped out at me as GetBit is having a good sale on the blank. Does anyone have any experience with either of these blanks? Or any other blanks that would be recommended for that matter?

Thanks in advance for all replies!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2020 11:49AM by Chris Jaenke.

Re: Help choosing blank for Kayak fishing
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 06, 2020 01:50PM

I trust you already know how to sharpen a fish hook to a "sticky" (on thumbnail) triangle point. I fear a majority of fishermen have never tested a hook for sharpness, let alone sharpened one. There is not a rod blank, or reel, or line, or lure, or boat made at any price which will compensate for a dull hook, as far as I know.

Posted by: Chris Jaenke (140.225.44.---)
Date: May 06, 2020 03:01PM

Oh, yeah I always fish with a sticky sharp hook. Life's too short not to. I'm lucky if I get to fish 3-4 times a month, and that's only in the summer, so I make sure to take advantage of the time I get on the water. I'll upgrade hooks on a lot of my hardbaits.

What I'm more looking for is advice on a good blank to fit my needs. I'm trying to find a happy medium for a rod that will have some bend in it to keep pressure on fish with treble hooks, but also stiff enough to get a good hookset with a jig and not be overloaded when casting a 3/8 oz jig or spinner baits. I likely won't be able be throwing baits any larger than a 1/2 oz on this rod.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: May 06, 2020 03:10PM

My only suggestion for this length of rod for kayak use is to build it with a shorter rear grip. Possibly 5" to 6" range. Sitting in a kayak there is very little wiggle room and a long handle tends to bump,snag or interfere with kayak activity.

I fish from a canoe and I appreciate the short rear grip rods I have built.

Phil is on top of it. I sharpen my hooks before every trip, I also spool off about 6 to 8 feet of line and retie my terminal tackle. I use up a lot of hooks and line but its worth it because my hook sets are consistently high and line or knot failure is almost non existent.

Have fun
John

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 06, 2020 05:04PM

The new gray / natural carbon colored Eternity blanks are very good but not the blue ones. The blue ones have an easy to break problem. Sharp hooks are good. VMC Cone Cut, very sharp.

Posted by: Jonathan Hotham (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2020 09:51PM

Chris, a good 80% of my time spent fishing is from a kayak. My wife and I probably do 60-90 days a year. I used to think I wanted "that blank" for the kayak, but atleast for me a single blank is not ideal. Infact in my opinion all the advantages of multiple rods on a bass boat work the same in a kayak. I personally always have 4 rods with me. I also started with shorter rods but now I use what functions best. Certainly a shorter handle can be beneficial and make sure that you can atleast rig the rod in your yak. For me I run up to 7'6" no problems, I go longer and rigging becomes an issue. As far as hook setting power and a soft tip, I really like the Bushido magbass blanks. They have a 6'8" blank that is a nice length for the kayak. I always have a light power rod with a ned rig tied on too for sight fishing.

I also Stand on my kayak without issue, so I use alot of tip down techniques and I'm tallish 6'1" so I need a 7 footer for most of that. I also use spinning and baitcasters on the yak

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2020 09:53PM by Jonathan Hotham.

Posted by: Chris Jaenke (---)
Date: May 08, 2020 10:02AM

Jonathan Hotham Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chris, a good 80% of my time spent fishing is from
> a kayak. My wife and I probably do 60-90 days a
> year. I used to think I wanted "that blank" for
> the kayak, but atleast for me a single blank is
> not ideal. Infact in my opinion all the advantages
> of multiple rods on a bass boat work the same in a
> kayak. I personally always have 4 rods with me. I
> also started with shorter rods but now I use what
> functions best. Certainly a shorter handle can be
> beneficial and make sure that you can atleast rig
> the rod in your yak. For me I run up to 7'6" no
> problems, I go longer and rigging becomes an
> issue. As far as hook setting power and a soft
> tip, I really like the Bushido magbass blanks.
> They have a 6'8" blank that is a nice length for
> the kayak. I always have a light power rod with a
> ned rig tied on too for sight fishing.
>
> I also Stand on my kayak without issue, so I use
> alot of tip down techniques and I'm tallish 6'1"
> so I need a 7 footer for most of that. I also use
> spinning and baitcasters on the yak

Thanks for the reply! I also will be taking multiple rods on my kayak. But I am limited to 2 or 3 rigs when going out. My purpose for building this rod is that I really don't have anything like it. A lot of my baitcasters a MH extrafast and I have a glass cranking rod and a 6'6" medium that is too far on the light side to throw crankbaits in the 1/2 oz range or larger topwaters. I'll take a look at the Bushido blanks! The MB68/10-17 is the one you are referring to correct?

Posted by: Jonathan Hotham (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2020 05:36PM

Chris, I haven't personally fished the 10/17 yet myself but I think it may suit you. I have a MB68/12-25 on my kayak, I originally expected it to be alot different but the tip is so progressive that it is very universal. I comfortably throw 1/4oz jigs on it, I definitely wouldn't throw a crank on the 12-25 as it has way to much power for standard/smallish trebles but I would expect the 10-17 to have a softer mid section and load deeper. The tip is the reason I recommend the Bushido. I can easily make long casts and set the hook with much less rod movement because of that really nice soft tip section. I have MHX magbass rods in a couple flavors and I much prefer the action of the Bushido magbass for kayak duty. As my good friend describes it "it just has a really fun action". I have more fun casting that rod then alot of others. I have more sensitive rods, but my Bushido magbass is the rod I have the most "fun" with.... I'm sure that Mr. Ewanicki will appreciate my solely objective terms! I hate using subjective terms myself but in my limited knowledge something about the transition from tip to mid section power on those rods is just right.

Posted by: David Miller (---)
Date: May 09, 2020 09:32AM

Like you said Chris getting a good hook set sitting in a kayak is not easy with the limited mobility. Although shorter rods are easier to manage the longer rods are better at hook sets because they move the hook further and faster with the same swing movement. I also think a faster ratio or bigger spool reel helps to pick up slack line before setting the hook. Lately I have been doing more fly fishing from my kayak. Fiberglass fly rods from 7’ to 8’ long. I try to keep no slack in the line, then strip and set the hook. For spinning or casting rods I think rods around 7’ are a good compromise for hook setting but still manageable. If I was looking for an “ All Rounder” I would consider the NFC MB 705 Delta which is a medium mh power pretty sure they still have it on sale. I have also heard many rave about their X Ray MB 736 MH. I picked up a SJ 703 but I consider it be a medium power. Another blank I was very impressed with handling them at the ICRBE is the Rainshadow Judge Crankbait even the medium power has a broad lure range, flexible tip but transitions to a very strong butt. Plus that extra woven carbon fiber near the butt that gives it that extra power looks sweet.

Posted by: Shannon Hughes (194.59.251.---)
Date: May 11, 2020 08:05AM

Chris my most favourite rod I have built for inshore kayak is the St Croix Avid Inshore 6'6" medium fast, 3/8 to 3/4oz 8-17lb rod. Great blank if you can find it. Fishes 3/16 to 3/8oz with plastic very well and has right combination of flex to power in lower section. Unfortunately St Croix stopped selling this blank to rod builders so I am on the hunt for replacement. The three blanks I have been considering are

1) IMMC68M - Kevin from Get Bit Outdoors flexed this one for me on his live FB, [www.facebook.com] I have built many of the Immortal popping series and they are great but I need something with faster action for single hook jig applications.
2) MHX MB783 - I read on another forum this one sits between St Croix Medium and Medium Heavy which is where I feel their inshore medium power sits. Also read sweet spot is that 3/16 to 3/8 with plastic. Ton of color options on this one. It is a mag bass taper so the butt is pretty thick.
3) Bushido MB68/10-17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster