I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A 'boring" question
Posted by: Angelo Biviano (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2020 06:22PM

Hi all,

Sorry if this is noob question. I'm going to turn some wood fly reel seats for the first time from 2" square stock and was wondering what might be the best work flow:

1) bore the square stock, put on a mandrel, then do final shape/size
2) chuck stock between centers, shape to final size, then bore it to fit rod?
3) or maybe a hybrid approach--rough the blank to round, bore it, place on a mandrel and then do final size/shaping

Tried checking online but really couldn't find an answer. I did see that many pen turners will bore stock fist, place on a mandrel, then shape.

Thanks for any suggestion and be safe!
Angelo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A 'boring" question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 05, 2020 06:52PM

The best method will depend on your equipment. Assuming you have a quality three jaw self-centering chuck, I would mount between centers, turn to shape, and then without un-chucking the stock, bore to the desired diameter. Then part off at the chuck end.

When you center bore, make sure to use a pilot point or brad spur point bit. Regular twist-drill bits, which were really designed for metal work, have a bad tendency to follow irregularities in the wood grain. True wood boring bits will stay on center much, much better.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: May 05, 2020 07:59PM

1 or 3 is the best choice. Final finish on a mandrel insures the bore is concentric with the OD.

Good luck

Posted by: Angelo Biviano (---)
Date: May 05, 2020 08:26PM

Thanks! Both sound like great approaches. Forgot to mention that I plan to bore on the lathe. And yes, Tom, I do have a self-centering chuck. I like that idea since it's less moving around. I'll try them out.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2020 09:12PM

Here’s what I do but other methods may work better for you depending on your set up.
I use a Barracuda two jaw pen chuck. It centers the blank pretty good. I mark the centers on both ends then mount it in the chuck. I use a centering bit to start the bore.
Then bring up the live tail suck and turn to almost final dimensions. Turn the blank around and turn the remaining blank. Measure your needed length. Turn any shoulders. At this point I bore. Then turn it down to final diameter and finish.
If I get a nice batch of material and I’m on a roll I will turn them to almost done and take them off the lathe. That way I can go back and bore to a specific size later then finish.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 06, 2020 01:33AM

The first time that I turned wood grips, I used #2. It worked fine, but after completing the job, I felt that the job would have been quicker and easier if the square stock has just been turned to a round shape - larger than the final shape and then center bored.

Then, the grip mounted on a mandrel for all of the rest of the work.

Take care

Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.179.---)
Date: May 06, 2020 08:40AM

When you mount the bored stock on a mandrel, how do you secure the stock to the mandrel so it does not spin freely?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 06, 2020 07:40PM

I use hardened threaded rod.
I put a washer and nut on one end.
I put a washer and nut on the other end.
I tighten the nuts sufficiently so that the work being turned does not turn on the mandrel.

Take care.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: May 07, 2020 10:03AM

First thing I would do is cut that 2" down to not more than 1/4" larger than the seat insert is going to be. Usless to spend the time removing all that excess material. I have a dedicated blank drilling chuck for my lathe, so I bore first, then transfer to a mandrel and complete the turning process

Ron Weber

Posted by: Angelo Biviano (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2020 01:54PM

Thanks all for the continued recommendations! These sound great and looking forward trying them out this weekend.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster