I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FUJI Rod Guide color
Posted by: Steven Barstis (---.desm.qwest.net)
Date: May 05, 2020 02:52AM

I have recently acquired a box of misc guides . In the box I found several black Fuji spinning guides that are single foot , black finish with a grey insert ring . Would that be considered aluminum oxide color ? I have researched several parts catalogs and can not get a definite answer . I am new at the rod building experience. I want to order some more I really like the way they look .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FUJI Rod Guide color
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 05, 2020 07:25AM

Steven,
Yes, you are correct.
The guides that you mention were the predecessor to the Fuji alconite guides.

At the time, they were referred to as the Hardloy inserts:

[www.google.com]

These guides were used for many many years and have been used for building millions of rods over the past years.

[www.google.com]

Take care

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 05, 2020 09:27AM

While my comment is just personal preference, I find those old fat gray rings to be much less attractive than the modern guides that Fuji offers. I'm not even sure you can still get the fat Hardloys any more. Check out their new stuff, read up on the KR series guides, the corrosion control frames, and the Fazlite rings. The new KR guides look good, all the ring materials are very good, and the frame designs are more tangle free than the old stuff. Make sure you study up before ordering a lot of guides. You may find yourself regretting buying a bunch before truly understanding what's available now . I only use KLH, KB, KT now on spin, set up the reduction train with the KR software on their site, use the two line stress test method to space the runners, and the rods work well every time. very easy and reliable.

Posted by: Larry Green (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: May 05, 2020 10:24AM

Michael - where can I learn about the two-line stress test? Not familiar with that...thanks.

Date: May 05, 2020 10:36AM

[anglersresource.net]

This is part of the Anglersresource.net web site which shows all of Fuji's offerings . Their pdf catalog is an excellent source of info on their guides, concepts, has the groupings for the LKH line of guides (The KR software, only for the KR-KLH series of guides).

The reasoning for the 2 line stress test is given in the first link, but I might add in case it doesn't mention it that the biggest thing I like about it is that the rod is not loaded through the guides. This means that when you have the rod/blank loaded with the line from the tip, the guides can easily be tweaked for position without unloading the rod. With a single line process, which I used for years, when you want to re-position a guide you have to unload the rod.

Date: May 05, 2020 10:38AM

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 05, 2020 11:15AM

I think the article in the Library of this site does a better job of explaining everything. Black band, top right, article on static distribution at bottom of list. In essence two lines, one attached to the tip top allows the blank to display it's natural curve and the second line ran thru the guides has no real tension on it making guide placement and adjustments real easy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2020 11:20AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: May 05, 2020 12:29PM

Here is the two line static test article from the library. [www.rodbuilding.org]
Norm

Posted by: Jerme Europa (41.114.207.---)
Date: May 05, 2020 01:53PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is the two line static test article from the
> library.
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
> ml
> Norm

Very nice Tom!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster