I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Forgot winding check
Posted by: Stan Vogel (---)
Date: May 03, 2020 06:37PM

Newbie, wrapped stripper guide and was about to start 2nd guide when I saw the winding check set aside to place on rod.......the hard part of rod building is the guide wrapping for me. I still feel clumsy even after 8 builds.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Forgot winding check
Posted by: David Parsons (---)
Date: May 03, 2020 06:43PM

YOU COULD DO THREAD AND FINISH THERE IN PLACE OF WINDING CHECK

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 03, 2020 07:16PM

Most of my rods have no winding check, if you do a good job of finishing the blank to grip connection there is no need for one.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 03, 2020 07:16PM

Most of my rods have no winding check, if you do a good job of finishing the blank to grip connection there is no need for one.

Date: May 03, 2020 07:45PM

I thought about leaving it off, but its a smoke knurled check to match the reel seat. DA mistake. And, these trim bands are a PITA!

Slate rod, smoke REC reel seat. Thought Garnet wrap with silver metallic would look great with silver snake guides. I'm rethinking the trim bands.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.s2382.c3-0.drf-cbr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: May 03, 2020 08:43PM

Stan, rewrapping the stripping guide will take some time. But that amount of time is nothing when compared to how long you’ll look back and wonder why you didn’t go back and install the winding check. It sounds like you did a great job of selecting complimentary components for this rod. It deserves to be built out as originally designed.

"The greatest barrier to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Daniel J. Boorstin

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 03, 2020 10:28PM

Stan,
You have just confirmed you are like everyone else; you make (forgetful) mistakes at times. I commend your honesty. The sign of a true craftsman is one who can not only cover-up a mistake, but make it better than originally planned. Ponder over it for a while before removing the stripper. David and Spencer have offered valid thoughts to consider. On the other hand, Jeff has offered a valid point as well. If it were me and since only the stripper has been installed, I would bight-the-bullet and remove the stripper to enable installation of the winding check; it is only one guide! Yes, I have admittedly been in similar situations. Use it as a learning experience and to get more comfortable with wrapping guides. Personally though, I prefer to save the weight and cost of trim such as winding checks and would follow David’s and Spencer’s approach/solution. Let us know what you decide.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: May 04, 2020 07:00AM

OK, we're on the same page. I removed stripper last night and rewrapped. Yes, I installed that stupid wind check first. I need to post some photos here, I'm not half bad at this.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 04, 2020 08:14AM

With a rubber one I sliced it apart with a razor blade, put in on, and you couldn't really notice it was cut. I know how you feel, though. When I first started to wrap rods it would be a big deal to wrap one over for a fix. But, as I got better I don't hesitate to remove a guide an re-wrap so I'm satisfied. You got good advice here, as always. We all make mistakes.

Date: May 04, 2020 11:10AM

A lot of this is simply frustration with this virus stuff, economy, etc. Everyone hates a routine until out of one.....

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.247.206.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: May 04, 2020 12:21PM

My first couple rods I would just leave it as is but as stated by others, you get more comfortable as you build more rods. If I forgot something, or its not quite right, I wont hesitate to remove the guide and re-do. I actually have a Striper rod that I completely removed all the guides, and butt wrap, that is still leaning against the wall. I have been meaning to get back to it, but tying flies is also taking some of my time...

Date: May 04, 2020 01:32PM

Ha! Fly tying is next up for me, I don't have a clue for a vice choice.

Well, I have looked at the Traveler.

Date: May 04, 2020 03:49PM

That's a whole other animal there. I went with one of the generic beginner sets.

Date: May 04, 2020 07:10PM

Well, Ken I'm looking at all of them. Don't need much, just for bream and bass flies.

Date: May 05, 2020 07:50AM

Are you going to make poppers? I plan on doing that eventually but right now Im concentrating on flies for trout (midges, caddis, drys, buggers). Waiting on some supplies from Cabelas that is coming in 5 different packages from all over the place.

Date: May 05, 2020 02:06PM

Yes to poppers. My favorite way to fly fish for bass.

Date: May 05, 2020 02:06PM

Yes to poppers. My favorite way to fly fish for bass.

Posted by: Jim Crisci (---)
Date: May 05, 2020 03:15PM

Stan,
In your search for a fly tying vise, here's a good one to consider. I've been using a Peak for quite a few years. Good quality and an excellent value for the price. Here's a link to the Mudhole page:
[www.mudhole.com]

Date: May 05, 2020 05:17PM

That would work

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 05, 2020 06:51PM

Stan, the most rewarding fly to ty for bass is the deer hair bug..if you try tying them get a vice with a good grip on the hook like the Regal..the one i have is over twenty years old and lets me ty bugs up to a 5/0 hook..an excellent book is titled "Bass bug Basics" by John Likakis for beginners and advanced tyers..enjoy the process..

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster