I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MHX Blank for large redfish, East Coast Florida
Posted by: John Menken (47.199.189.---)
Date: May 02, 2020 09:15AM

Hello everyone,
I am hoping you can give me a recommendation for an MHX blank that might be appropriate for this style of fishing.
The rod I build is for my son and here is his application.

Fishing in an inshore lagoon on the East coast of Florida for large redfish in the 20 to 30 lb. range.
He uses dead bait and fishes in 6-10 foot of water.
He will be in a boat (as opposed to a kayak or from shore).
Doesn't need to make extra-long casts. He told me that he throws the dead bait out and waits for the Redfish to come to them.
Is there an MXH blank for this application?
Many thanks.
John M.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MHX Blank for large redfish, East Coast Florida
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 02, 2020 09:41AM

I prefer a conventional reel spooled with #30 mono attached to a #30 - #50 rated rod no more than 6 feet long. I have fished Ponce inlet and the Mosquito Lagoon for big reds for many years. The short rod provides good leverage and makes landing, unhooking, and releasing big reds easier than long rods - and if you're fishing an outgoing tide in an inlet those 40' - 48' reds will lie sidewards downstream and flat kick your tail. Leverage helps.

Posted by: Robert Dittert III (---)
Date: May 04, 2020 06:27PM

L844 or L904 Light Saltwater blanks, depending in preferred length of rod. These have higher upper end of the lure weight VS the Inshore Popping blanks. If he was throwing more lures instead of dead bait, waiting for the reds to come to him, I would go with the popping blanks.

Good luck.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: May 05, 2020 08:56AM

Hello John - Robert has hit the blanks spot on. Here is a link to those rod blanks [www.mudhole.com] Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: benjie bates (---)
Date: May 06, 2020 10:07PM

Something else to consider

[northforkcomposites.com]

I have 2 of these I’m building up now for the same purpose

I also have a pair of MHX 844’s

Great rods but these Neo have a softer tip and more backbone

Posted by: Marc Schwitters (---.sc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 08, 2020 03:15PM

I am looking for a two piece for a similar build situation. Guy wants a white blank 2 pc spinning rod. Has anyone ever tried that on the ST1025? I have one on hand and it feels like it would build well but would appreciate input. Obviously a lot longer than what has been mentioned but he wants to kayak fish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2020 03:18PM by Marc Schwitters.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster