I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Does Flex Coat strengthen/reinforce rod?
Posted by: Jeremy Lee (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: May 02, 2020 05:44PM

Hey all,

Sorry dumb question alert lol: am curious if applying flex coat (particularly on a graphite rod that has been sanded to the point that the satin/matte finish was removed) would help strengthen or reinforce that part of the rod in the case that some graphite might have been removed through sanding. This is in the context of the tip section of a rod that broke off and where the second guide was damaged - I pulled the tip off of the broken tip to salvage, removed the second guide, then sanded to smooth it as well as sanded the diameter of the *new* top so the salvaged tip could slide on. I'm just afraid that the integrity of that part of the rod might now be diminished.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2020 05:46PM by Jeremy Lee.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does Flex Coat strengthen/reinforce rod?
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 02, 2020 05:51PM

Absolutely not.
Quote "I'm just afraid that the integrity of that part of the rod might now be diminished". And - yes you did.
Herb

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2020 05:54PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Date: May 02, 2020 06:23PM

Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Absolutely not.
> Quote "I'm just afraid that the integrity of that
> part of the rod might now be diminished". And -
> yes you did.
> Herb

Darn... I was a bit too eager with this one. The part where it broke had one or two very thin graphite 'strands' coming off if I were to lightly twist between my fingers, so I guess the structure was already compromised at that point anyway? I used 220 grit sand paper to try to remove any excess epoxy and to try to decrease the diameter slightly of the tip area so the existing tip could slip over.

[photos.app.goo.gl]

Should I have made a clean cut instead?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2020 06:31PM by Jeremy Lee.

Date: May 02, 2020 09:04PM

You should have just bought a tip-=top one size larger
Herb

Date: May 02, 2020 09:10PM

Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You should have just bought a tip-=top one size
> larger
> Herb

Is the rod still salvageable at this point? Would brushing 2-part epoxy on the sanded part help at all? If not I figure at this rate glue the tip back on and fish it and see what happens lol - at least I got my money back so it's not like I'll be losing anything (well, except for a fish maybe hahah)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2020 10:09PM by Jeremy Lee.

Date: May 02, 2020 10:33PM

No - applying 2 part epoxy will not strengthen the area.
The strength of the blank is due to the composite of graphite and epoxy mixed together. Not as a coating.
Herb

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 02, 2020 11:16PM

Jeremy,
Herb has offered good advice through veteran experience. I agree that the rod has been compromised through extensive sanding. How much it has been compromised is anyone’s guess. You will gain no strength whatsoever with the addition of more epoxy! As you mentioned, and at this point I agree, glue the tip top back on and fish it! You have nothing to lose and can possibly gain a valuable lesson learned; who knows, maybe you will like the rod better in its new configuration. Good luck.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: May 03, 2020 12:57AM

Thanks all!

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 03, 2020 08:46PM

2X Mark's comment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster