I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metric system
Posted by: Keith Langford (---)
Date: April 29, 2020 06:35PM

I am brand new to the metric system, googled and I basically get it . I do have a question , if my rod layout calls for 91.5 cm that would be 91 cm and 5 mm correct.

Keith Langford

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metric system
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 29, 2020 06:59PM

The metric system is rather easy, in fact, the U.S. uses it for it's monetary system.

10mm = 1cm. So 91.5cm = 915mm. .5cm = 5mm. You are correct.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 29, 2020 08:02PM

Keith, if you wish to convert the metric system to inches and feet, there are many conversion charts available online just Google it.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 29, 2020 08:11PM

Get a nice metric tape measure. You can get them at some hardware stores like northern tool. Makes laying a guide train much easier because you don't have to deal with fractions of inches. Once you start using it you will become a convert.
Norm

Posted by: Keith Langford (---)
Date: April 29, 2020 08:36PM

I got one today Norman, per your recommendation. Pretty sure I got this down pat now, and you were right, much easier. 10 mm in a cm, 100 cm in a m. Got me a fatmax 8m/26' tape measure. Started framing houses when I was 19 so I am pretty good with a tape, just new to metric system but I got her know. Thank everyone for the replies. Norman would it be okay to email you about some questions I have.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 29, 2020 08:38PM

Sure,
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 29, 2020 09:20PM

We were supposed to be fully converted to the metric system by 1991, I even taught a class in it's use in the late 70's, early 80's. Things are so much easier when you use that system. Everything is based on he earth's natural known, and repeatable values.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 30, 2020 01:16AM

The metric system is emphatically easier than the U.S. jumble of odd measurements for weight, length and volume; 16oz = 1lb, 12in = 1ft, 3ft = 1yard, and my favorite, 5280ft = 1 mile; now there is a nice, round number!!! The metric system employs the simplicity of a “base-10” to all measurements whether weight, length or volume. In the U.S. we have different “bases” for weight, length and volume which is certainly confusing to say the least. In the U.S. a great priority is money! Our monetary system is “base 10” so why not everything else? It just does not make logical sense to confuse everyone by including a “base 12”, a “base 16 and “base 5280” into otherwise simple life!!! There was a huge push in the U.S. 1980s to convert to the metric system with dismal results. Many do not realize their new American built Ford, Chevy and Dodge now incorporate metric bolts and fasteners throughout. All said, I am admittedly old-school and am more comfortable measuring in .001in than .010mm while machining, but the metric system is superior in ease and execution, hands down, across the board. Converting is not as easy as those unrelated might think; it is NOT simply changing rulers!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 30, 2020 03:17AM

The USA was virtually converted to the Metric system some years ago. Already a significant portion of the US highway signage had been converted, and other industries were well on their way to the conversion.

Also:

[www.cnbc.com]

It is so unfortunate, because as others have said, the metric system is so so so convenient. Just take a number and add or subtract 0s for any conversion. No fractions to ever deal with.

About 90% of the rest of the world has converted to the Metric system so we should get together to try again to get the conversion completed.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 30, 2020 08:13AM

The greatest impediment in implementing the metric system was that everyone wanted to simply convert it to what we already had instead of simply learning the relative lengths, weights, distances, etc. of the Metric system. Sort of like learning a foreign language - those who do it best also learn to think in the new language instead of just translating things in their head.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 30, 2020 06:04PM

The above being said, I find it curious that while the old Fuji GPS provides a conversion feature the newer KR GPS does not. That was a handy item.

Posted by: David Boyle (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 02, 2020 09:35PM

I grew up with the metric system and am now trying to get my head around US weights, measures and distances and it is not easy, lol

Posted by: Brian Babcock (---.va.shawcable.net)
Date: May 03, 2020 02:07PM

As a 55 year old Canadian, I lived through our conversion back when I was in elementary school. All those years later, I still watch my weight in pounds, my height in feet / inches, my fuel economy in miles per gallon, and my football in yards (yes, even Canadian Football). My guide layouts are in inches, fly rods are in feet,fly lines measured in grains, and downrigger cannonballs in pounds. Red wine, however, is in milliliters! Unless it's just 1 glass - then ounces.......

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 03, 2020 07:47PM

that,s funny Brian and that,s in Ha, Haaas..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster