I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Let there be light
Posted by: Albert D Allbritton (---.mybh.sc.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 28, 2020 10:59PM

I use a desk lamp with a magnifier built-in. The one I had would not reach all the areas I needed it to so I ordered another one. Well, I was pleased with the magnifier, but the fluorescent tube output was pitiful. I had replaced the bulb in the first lamp with an LED and it was SO much brighter. I finally broke down and took apart the head and saw the brand I used for a replacement. I picked up the same brand today and replaced the fluorescent bulb with the LED. WOW and I mean WOW what a difference.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Let there be light
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 29, 2020 03:01AM

Albert,
I also use two on my work table, one just won't reach from one end to the other. I got mine from a lab we shut down at a place I worked a few years ago. They were pretty high end so the lights in them were good and bright. Thanks to you, now I know I can replace them with LEDs when they burn out. Where did you get replacement LEDs from?
Thanks,
Lance

Date: April 29, 2020 04:14AM

I bought it from a local hardware company for about $12-13. Amazon/Walmart was higher. I'm trying to buy local even if it cost a little more now to help out our local economy. Small businesses are going to need ALL THE HELP we can give them now if they are to survive. It is a Feit Electric model #C8/840/LED. The big drawback was it was made in China so buying made in the USA can be difficult.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 29, 2020 01:20PM

Albert,
A couple of years ago, I had purchased an LED light to use on my rod bench, but I was quite disappointed at its lack of really bright light.

I have , and currently still use a pair of 50 watt halogen swing arm lights that give intensely bright light to my rod building area, which works very well for me.

But, there have been excellent advances in the world of LED bulb technology and yes, absolutely if you can find a suitable bulb, or complete light that uses LED technology, by all means use it/them.

Out in the "dirty shop" where I do all of my sanding and lathe grip shaping work, I have installed a couple of recent purchase 48 inch inexpensive LED shop lights. Very very bright lights that do a wonderful job of illuminating all of the bench, lathe, and other machines that are used in this shop. These lights were $50-$60 when they were first introduced, but now can be had for less than $20 when found on sale. Another big advantage of these 48 inch hanging shop lights is that they are essentially immune to cold weather.

In the middle of the MN winter, when I go out to heat the shop, the temp in the shop might be -10F. But, even at that temperature, the lights still start instantly and are the same brilliant brightness. Of course, when the shop is warmed up to its nominal +70F, no issues at all with the lights either.

--------------------------
In years past, I tried using illuminated magnifying lights, but always got rid of them pretty quickly, because the light itself got in the way of my wrapping.
As a result, I began using a magnifying head band with its lens about 6 inches in front of my eyes for good focal length work, and it also precludes the need to do any thing different with the glasses that I wear.

But, to give the really intense illumination of the guide and blank area on which I am working I like the swing arm lights so that the light itself is actually below and set back a bit from my line of vision to give very intense light to the part of the rod on which I am working without having the rest of the shop lighted up like the surface of the sun.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

--------------------------
As lighting engineers have suggested over the years, the general working area of a detailed assembly plant needs to have a modest level of lighting so that when one looks away from the very brightly lighted area under assembly, the eyes can be rested with its lower light level. But, then when the eyes go back to the work area, there is an intense level of light that gives brilliant illumination and detail of the working area for a perfect job.

Take care

Date: April 29, 2020 08:54PM

Roger, I don't have a permanent rod building area. I use the kitchen table for now so everything has to be portable. If/when I get a spot where I can set up for good I'll get the 4 ft LEDs as you suggest. I have gone to LEDs pretty much throughout the house now and it really helps my old eyes. Don't the halogen bulbs put off a good bit of heat?

Date: April 30, 2020 03:24AM

Albert,
Yes, the halogen bulbs do put off a good bit of heat and they work well to keep the fingers nice and warm when wrapping in a cool shop.

You are right about the the LED bulbs. I also have converted about 90% of all of the lighting in my home to LEDs and generally are very happy. But, in spite of the advertising about long bulb life, I have run into more than one bulb that had a life of only a month or so. But, once that it seems that the initial burn outs happen, the rest of the bulbs keep on working.

It is somewhat surprising with the information that the LEDs are in fact, quite energy friendly and efficient that the ultra bright LEDs for the higher intensity bulbs do run rather hot. i.e. the conversion ballasts that are located in the base of every light bulb actually generate a significant amount of heat.

For the LEDs which look like the standard light bulb, this ballast are inside the glass or plastic outer bulb and thus are not visible.

But, for rod building, for the really bright light that is required by the detail work of rod building, it is tough to beat the illumination developed by today's very bright and efficient LED lights.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.247.206.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: April 30, 2020 07:21AM

The use of LEDs has been hit or miss for me. The LEDs that I have in my lamps in my living room work great and I haven't had to change them in about 3 months. On the other hand, the LEDs that I have in my kitchen seem to go after 3 weeks. I think it has to do with the application and the frequency of use.

Date: April 30, 2020 08:24AM

Ken,
I would suggest that you change the brand Led lights that you use in your kitchen. I have found that some brands of LED lights work much better than others.

Date: May 01, 2020 11:46AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster