I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pitchin Stick and Small Crankbaits (3-5 feet depth) Blank choice
Posted by: Keith Langford (---)
Date: April 28, 2020 08:00PM

Would a Point Blank PB 731 MFX or MHF make a good picthing/casting bass rod for 17 # fluro with 1/2 oz jig or 1/4 OZ bullet wait with worm or creature bait. And for small crankbaits, KVD 1.5 type would the PB701MLF be a good choice, I need to be able to feel every turn of the handle with the crankbait rod and every wiggle of the bait, mostly with 10-12 lb fluro. Please help. Thank you.

Keith Langford

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pitchin Stick and Small Crankbaits (3-5 feet depth) Blank choice
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 29, 2020 09:25AM

Keith,

I understand Anglers Resource, (Point Blank), is closed for a month. They sure could answer your question.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 29, 2020 10:39AM

The Point Blanks make into very nice all around bass rods. For cranks baits, even though they have a very fast action, the tip is light enough to keep the fish hooked up.
Norm

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: April 29, 2020 10:59AM

Hey Keith. Anglers Resource is closed until Friday, but we have all been working from home the entire month and have been shipping with a skeleton crew the past 2 weeks. I just asked our Pro Team member, Kyle Welcher, about his choice for pitchin' and he said he uses the PB761HF if the cover is heavy (vegetation) or the PB731MHXF if he is over rocks or sparse bottom cover. PB731MXF would be the choice for small, shallow Cranks.

Date: April 29, 2020 06:24PM

Thank ya'll for the info, I was always under the impression you needed a medium power and action for crankbaits, at least by rod manufacturers standards. i guess I need to learn all the new stuff. Just want to make sure I am getting the blank that would do the best job for what I want to use it for before I invest in the blank and components

Date: April 29, 2020 06:38PM

Norman would that rod give me the feel I am looking for with crankbaits, in other words would I be able to feel what the crankbait is doing

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 29, 2020 08:36PM

I have no problem feeling a crank bait wobble and bounce over structure with my Point Blank rods, but I do use braid, with a fluoro or mono leader. Most people like to use a moderate action graphite or fiberglass rod for crankbaits because they tend to result in a better bite to landing percentage, and these people feel the crank bait working with these softer rods. So I don't think you will have a problem. Point Blank uses a high end high modulus graphite for thier blanks, thus they are quite sensitive. If I didn't like them I wouldn't use them or recommend them. They make extremely nice rods.
Norm

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 30, 2020 09:11PM

if you really want sensetivity you will use one of the super lines..i,m sorry, but your not going to get it from the rod..i use braid on my glass rods and they are more sensetive than any carbon rod with mono.you can put braid on a high mod. carbon rod but you must be careful because there is less shock absorbtion on a strong hook set..they can blow up..most use fl.carbon on high mod. carbon rods..they don,t want to risk a break..

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 01, 2020 09:20PM

I think you'll feel stuff like never before with the PB's.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster