I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another question about epoxy and crystalizing
Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: April 27, 2020 05:04PM

I know i know.. But i just had a thought and want to make sure i didnt just screw myself..

So we established that crystalized thread epoxy is ok to reuse once reheated and de-crystalized..

My question is since only half the epoxy crystalized, if i were to transfer the still liquid epoxy into another bottle of epoxy (better 1 full the 2 half) and leave the crystalized portion in the original bottle, would i basically be like seperating alcohol from water by freezing? Inadvertently making the epoxy take on adverse (or perhaps better) characteristics? In other words, if the crystalized epoxy is concidered 'pure' did i just take all the 'impurities' out?

Probably a stupid question.. But im just curious now.. Lol

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another question about epoxy and crystalizing
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 27, 2020 05:34PM

No, it'd be fine, but you'd still want to heat and remove the crystalization from from the full bottle before attempting to mix and use it.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 27, 2020 05:41PM

i,m not sure Anthony but i think it,s like separating ice from the water..both parts are the same just in a different state..

Date: April 27, 2020 05:57PM

I figured as much... Just wanted to make sure i didnt do a whopsy lol

And i do tom, just dont want to have to keep fussing with it, theres always that portion that doesnt crystalize in there. Tired of heating it up every time.. Figured id just save it for a rainy day.

Thanks guys..

And ben, good analogy.. I like it lol

Date: April 27, 2020 06:30PM

maybe someone from flex coat will answer also..

Date: April 27, 2020 06:45PM

Ive become somewhat of a friend of Gabriel over at Hitena USA, its hitena that is crystalizing on me, but its damn good epoxy.. I love the stuff.
I still havent gotten any flexcoat to try out, its hard to change what works sometimes.. Back to Gabrial, i would have just asked him, but figured its possible others may have the same question at some point.. So what better place to ask

Date: April 27, 2020 07:17PM

i,ve tried other epoxies but then when i need more i go back to flexcoat, so easy to work with..are you using a lite or heavy hitena..what do you like about it compared to other epoxy..thanks Anthony.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 27, 2020 07:34PM

Store it in a warmer place where it wont crystalize

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 27, 2020 08:09PM

Phil,
I don't know that storage temperature has much to do with the material to crystallize.

All of my material is stored in an area that is typically between 60 and 70 degrees. Yet virtually every batch of material that I have had around for more than a year, has typically crystallized in the one part.

Date: April 27, 2020 08:31PM

I would call it a high build to be honest.. Its good to go in 8 hrs, i can vouch that it will relevel and accidents that occur within 2 hours off mixing.. I once had a rod drying behind where i was wrapping, a thread tag cought the epoxy and started to bind on the guide at about 1 hour and 45 min. Leveled out perfectly.. I think it was better then before even lol it accepts heat very well too.. Ive scorched my share of wraps being over zealous... Prokote for example seems to leave a almost rubbery non slip feel, hitena does not... In my opinion it has a slick rock hard feel, trust me it has plenty of flex though.. I dont know what it is about it but it just clicked the first time i used it for lacl of better words.. If you haven't ever tried it, Gabriel might be willing to send a sample.. Dont take my word for it though, i dont work there :)

Date: April 27, 2020 08:40PM

Roger and phil..

Phil i store my epoxy in a location that doesnt go below 65, or over 85 (hopefully) i asked Gabrial about crystalization and i cant remember if Norm or Gabrial said it, but epoxy wants to be hard at room temperature, when you have crystalization its a sign that you have a pure product.

What ive gathered is its a good thing, but is lacking the necessary chemicals to keep it soft until hardener is introduced.. Theres enough in the mixture that it doesn't harden, only crystalize.. Hence the need for a hardener.. What i find interesting is thread epoxy is a thermoreaction, meaning it crates heat to harden.. So why do the crystals melt when heat is introduced?

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: April 27, 2020 08:57PM

I went on Yahoo searched on "Crystallization of Epoxy" and found a number of articles by Epoxy manufactures describing what is crystallization how its formed solutions to restore and recommended storage conditions.

I copied this and it found it interesting.

"Crystals can be eliminated by increasing the temperature of the liquid resin to about 50°C (about 122°F) until all signs of the crystals are gone. We suggest checking the material at 10 minutes, at 20 minutes, at 30 minutes, and at 1 hour. Typically, it takes only 20-40 minutes to eliminate crystals and fully return the epoxy to a clear liquid, but it could take several hours. (Note that this low-temperature heat treatment does not damage the epoxy or impact its material properties. Also, the epoxy won’t cure, because you have not yet mixed the material.). Allow the resin to cool to room temperature, then proceed to use normally. It can be stored in its original packaging for later use".

To minimize crystallization, the general consensus from all the articles is to store the epoxy at a temperature of 25C (77F) or above.

Just passing on what I have read.

Date: April 27, 2020 09:14PM

Ok, thats a good response.. I always forget about that Google thing.. Although i can spend 24 hrs on the same topic and never get the same answer twice.. My last google headache is trying to find a compression insert for a dip pen, (im a custom pen turner as well) you type in 'dip pen' or 'nib holder' and you get a million pages on fountain pens.. Not dip pens..

Good info though.. The previous was litterally what i conceive in my mind.. Nothing more. However that still doesnt explain what only part of a bottle might crystalize and not the whole thing, unless the purity thing is true as well..
Thank you for the info.. And i eventually did find inserts for custom dip pens by the way lol

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 28, 2020 09:41PM

Good luck with your search. Try Flexcoat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster