I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Setting guides, decorative wraps and finishing.
Posted by: Carl Butler (---)
Date: April 27, 2020 09:06AM

I’m curious when you are finishing your new rod is their a sequence, do you set and wrap your guides and varnish them before you do any kind of decorative wraps. Or do you do all your thread work on the blank then varnish everything at once?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Setting guides, decorative wraps and finishing.
Posted by: Pat Doyle (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 27, 2020 10:15AM

Hi Carl, I layout the location of guides, then add weaves to the blank prior to wrapping guides. This ensures proper spacing of the weave between guide wraps.

Pat

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 27, 2020 12:15PM

Carl,
I prefer to put on the grip, reel seat, guides, thread, finish and go fishing. Decorative wraps are not necessary for the clients to which I market rods. Rather, they just want the best and lightest tool that they can purchase to target the fish of their choice.

I appreciate the effort and work that goes into many custom rods.

But, for the hard core users of rods, I have never heard a single comment that a decorative wraps helps anyone to put more fish in the boat.

But, again, there is a big market for items that instill a sense of pride of ownership and pleasure in using the item - which falls into the market for rods that are almost too beautiful to put in a hand.

Best wishes .

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 27, 2020 01:22PM

I think there are different types of builders here on this site; some that are totally performance driven that would include making the lightest possible rod (Excessive wraps / weaves add weight), some that look at it as art, to be decorated and stand out and some that are somewhere in between. The sequence to putting a rod together is: mount the rear grip, mount real seat, mount fore grip, the butt can be put on at first or at this point (I prefer to do it last after the guides and tip top), tip top and then guides. Apply the epoxy to wraps. Varnish is not typically used anymore unless someone is making a vintage style rod.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 27, 2020 01:31PM

Carl,
Similar to Roger, I perform the necessary operations first; fit and install the grips and reel seat, then position the reduction and running guides, wrap the guides and apply one light coat of epoxy finish. I prefer to wrap and finish the guides in the same day, if possible, to minimize contamination and the possibility of the threads going “boink”. Although rarely doing elaborate butt wraps, I do install quite nice borders for the inscription and my logo that carry the same theme as the guide wraps which also serve as a wrap for the hook keeper if so used, but this is performed after the guides are wrapped and finished. This sequence makes logical sense to me but whichever works for you is the correct one.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: David DeBruhl (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: April 27, 2020 01:58PM

Hi Carl
It is according to where the decorative wrap is going. It is is in between the split grip and the butt grip, I epoxy on the butt grip, do my decorative wrap and then apply my finish over this ( at least one coat. Finish the rest of installing the rear grip,reel seat and fore grip(If the client desires a fore grip). Then attach the guides and put finish over all the guide wraps and second coat on the decorative. If the wrap is in front of the fore-grip, then I glue up all of the handle assembly, do the decorative wrap and apply one coat of finish. The reason I do this is so that the decorative wrap does not get damaged accidentally. The I attach my guides.and apply finish to all. That's just my way. I am sure there are better ways.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster