I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lumiseal Replacement
Posted by: Mike Corn (---.sub-174-250-145.myvzw.com)
Date: April 27, 2020 01:51AM

Men...I have spoken to Mudhole recently regarding Lumiseal. They were very informative about the discontinuing of the product following the purchase of Roddancer. Other than Permagloss, is there another one-part finish that is similar to Lumiseal? I saw where Bullard makes a C P Xtra. I also read that some guy was using Varethane Triple Thick. I just really liked how the Lumiseal was not quite as hot as Permaseal, less smell and a little higher build. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2020 11:24AM by Mike Corn.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lumiseal Replacement
Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.57.90.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 27, 2020 07:01AM

Perma gloss.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 27, 2020 07:44AM

Angler's Workshop offers a single part finish although I can't recall the name of it at the moment.

Posted by: Mike Corn (---.sub-174-250-145.myvzw.com)
Date: April 27, 2020 11:27AM

Thank you men.

I like permagloss Mark...just liked the no smell of Lumiseal and it would also go right over the acrylic paint I use to write on blanks where PG eats it.

Thank you Tom...I will check it out.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 27, 2020 03:14PM

Mike,
Apparently, U40 PermaGloss has become the go-to industry standard for blank finishing. After acquiring the proper technique, it applies easily, dries quickly, being humidity-catalyzed requires no mixing, and affords a fairly durable finish. I find it to be less durable than many make it out to be though. Also, due to its make-up including Zylene, it is very “hot” and one needs to be extremely cautious when handling. I have not tried Varethane Triple Thick but doubt it is any more durable and from experience with a number of other Varethane products, may require weeks if not months to FULLY cure, (if you can still smell it, it is still curing).

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 27, 2020 06:31PM

I use C P XTRA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2020 06:34PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 28, 2020 01:59AM

I always did like Permagloss but if you were lucky enough to get a bottle that wasn't partially solid and could use all of it, which was rare I switched to CpXtra and never had a problem since.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 28, 2020 02:03AM

I 2nd what Lynn uses.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 29, 2020 11:23AM

I could not verify that Varathane Triple Thick was suitable for exterior (UV filter) use.

Posted by: Mike Corn (107.126.58.---)
Date: April 30, 2020 10:42AM

I appreciate the feedback.

Tom...I checked out the Anglers Workshop one part finish. Thank you.

Lynn and Dennis...does the C-P-XTRA have a strong smell? I believe that stronger the smell the higher the solvent ratio. Maybe?

Thank you Michael. I read on here about the Varathane Triple Thick product. I just shot them an email regarding the UV protection, if any.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 30, 2020 06:18PM

It smells somewhat similar to permagloss, but not as strong, and the odor dissipates very quickly. I store it in he original bottle upside down in a baby food jar (in case of leakage) at room temp. I know for sure it keeps well like that for at least 2 years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster