I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide spacing
Posted by: Ben Saunders (---.fbx-dial.gci.net)
Date: November 24, 2001 06:31PM

I am building my third rod and would like to know what would be the preferred spacing and number of guides using single foot Pac Bay chrome guides on a 9 foot Pac Bay 7 weight blank. Any information will be appreciated.

Ben

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide spacing
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 24, 2001 07:05PM

I'd think about 9 or 10 and a top. But you'd have to make the static stress test thing to know for sure. You then space them out progressively and run a line through them and flex the blank. Shift the guides around to eliminate any jumps or flat spots in the line. You want the line to follow roughly the same curve as the blank. That's the best way to do it that I know of.

Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: November 26, 2001 09:48AM

Agree with the above post, but don't limit the number of guides if more is needed. Now days, with the singlefoots being so light it weight and only requiring half the thread and finish, more guides does not neccessarily mean more weight. The benefit is like what William said in getting the line to "follow" the curve of the blank. The idea is keep the line as close to the blank as you can without the line ever slapping it during casting. I usually stress test a flyrod in two ways. Place the guides stress test and adjust with the guides on bottom. Then turn the rod 180 degrees and stress with guides on top. This does two things for me 1) a little easier to identify "flat spots" in the flow of the line and 2) similates "sort of" what the line is doing as you begin the forward motion and "load" the rod during casting. I don't know if this is needed, but for me it makes sense, it is kind of a seceondary "check" and makes sense. Some of the more experienced may have an opinion on this and add their thoughts. Go with them if something I said is not right.
Again, like William said, on a 9 foot rod, MOST likely (not definite) it will 9-10 guides.. This does not include the tiptop. Guide spacing to me is the most critical part of the building process, I spend ALOT of time stressing and casting to ensure proper placement. Remeber performance is #1, looks #2, well, at least in my book. If using concept guides it could go up to 11 or 12 guides. It all depends on the testing. Hope this helps
Elrod

Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: November 27, 2001 03:31PM

Ben emailed me asking what I use to temporarily hold guides in place will testing. Following is my response. I know many already use this technique, but thought would be good to share with all.

"I use rubber surgical tubing and cut it to make 1/8" "little rubberbands". You can purchase this from Clemens Tackle or if you know someone in the medical profession, get them to grab a few different sizes. Clemens offers in three different sizes, I use the two smaller ones. Just roll them all on the blank before you put the tiptop on, then roll them onto the guide feet. That way it is very easy to reposition, don't have to mess with the tape thing, on and off, on and off. Leave them on as you begin to wrap each guide, to hold in place, then once you have wrapped up onto the foot enough for the thread to hold it, take a razor or scissors and cut the band off. Works perfect.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Elrod"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster