I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Graphite rod repair
Posted by: Carl Butler (---)
Date: April 25, 2020 02:03PM

I have a graphite spinning rod which broke 6” above the handle, can it be repaired? It is a medium light fast action scII graphite, he rod is not in production anymore. If their is a way to repair it which is the best.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Graphite rod repair
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 25, 2020 02:55PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 25, 2020 03:37PM

That's a relatively easy repair, only if you have access to a lot broken rods. Basically, an internal plug will work nicely. First tape or wrap the broken ends of the rod to prevent any additional damage around the break site. Now find a piece of blank which will slip snuggly into the tip section of your broken rod without any wobble, with a few inches of over lap. Remove the butt cap from your broken rod and insert that piece of rod blank into the butt until it protrudes out the end of the break. If the tip section of your broken rod fits snuggly over the protuding plug you are set to trim and glue the plug in place. If not try another piece of blank. If you have close but not quite there fit, you can sand the plug a little until you get the proper fit You want the plug to span at least 3" or so on both sides of the break, better a little more than a little less. Align the butt and tip sections to get everything square. Once the plug is glued in place, I remove the protective tape or thread wrap, and then do another thread wrap using waste thread spanning the break on both sides. This helps to hold everything in place under pressure. Once the epoxy has cured remove the sacrifical thread and rewrap over the repair, you can do a small decorative wrap if you wish. Such a repair will last a very long time, and because of it's location you will have a difficult time noticing any difference in performance. This plug repair precludes the removal of the guides, which would be necessary if doing a sleeve repair. Hope this helps.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 25, 2020 03:55PM

Carl and Norman,
Since this will be a permanent REPAIR of a broken rod rather than producing a spigot FERRULE to allow the rod sections to be separated, I would think the precision of the taper fit would be much less important as the epoxy will fill any void; obviously, the closer the better but not critical. Not everyone has a stash of sacrificial blanks/rods. What are your thoughts, Norman?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: April 25, 2020 04:18PM

Carl

I would consider fitting it with a ferrule (metal or otherwise). Because the break is near the handle and close to the stiffest part of the blank adding a ferrule at that point should have very little effect on the handling of the rod and provide a good repair.

Good luck
John

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 25, 2020 04:56PM

p.s.
If you want a selection of rod blanks, go to a a sporting goods store that has a charity box for good and bad rods that have been contributed to the box.

Let the folks at the store that you are a rod builder and are looking for blank material.

After asking permission, most stores will let you go through the box - and select what you wish for 0 to a very little money.

Not a bad thing to have a box of good and bad rods around to take care of repairs for anything that might happen to come in.

Take care

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 26, 2020 07:20AM

The method in the library works just fine, and IMO, is more reliable than the other methods. I did a fly rod using it and I had CCS numbers on it from before the failure. After the repair the numbers had not changed.

I have used the method on a number of rods broken more near the tip and it has worked fine and has lasted a number of years.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: April 26, 2020 02:58PM

go to the Library , like Tom suggested, and follow Ralph O'Quinn's method. I have many ,many repairs on the water and never had a failure.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 26, 2020 04:21PM

I do as Norman does, but always clean the inside of the broken segments where the glue's going to be with DNA prior to gluing. There can be some nasty stuff on the inside of some blanks (release agent?) Leave a little room for the glue you could split the blank if not careful. (too tight a fit)

Posted by: Steve Cox (---)
Date: April 26, 2020 09:03PM

Ralph was a Master :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster