I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Smooth finish over rod label/decal???
Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: April 24, 2020 12:12PM

Buongiorno Fratelli! I always have trouble getting a totally smooth, non wavy finish on longer runs when applying finish over my decals or labels on my builds. Makes me crazy! Any tips? They do look better since going horizontally. It could be I am just not good or I am trying to be too good. Help? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Smooth finish over rod label/decal???
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 24, 2020 05:09PM

Here's the process I use.

First apply a light coat of epoxy in the area for the decal When it has cured to the point it will no longer fingerprint, apply the decal, burnishing well especial the decal edges. then you are ready apply the epoxy overcoat. Do not apply too much epoxy and be sure the blank is level!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 24, 2020 05:09PM

Here's the process I use.

First apply a light coat of epoxy in the area for the decal When it has cured to the point it will no longer fingerprint, apply the decal, burnishing well especial the decal edges. then you are ready apply the epoxy overcoat. Do not apply too much epoxy and be sure the blank is level!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 24, 2020 05:15PM

For me the best method is to do 2, even 3 coats applied by brushing (yes , I use a brush) longitudinally, and trying to get it right without working it much. Do it then rotate the blank in good light to make sure you haven't missed any areas. Since you were not asking about bubbles, I won't comment on that.

This should give you a nice, level finish. Usually when I have had wavy finishes it's because I used too much epoxy. As stated above, level is important to prevent it from building up at one end.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2020 06:30PM

Todd,

I used to fight this my self. until I read a post on this site explaining a different procedure.This method differs from the other comments above.

I apply a heavy coat of epoxy over the decals, (after first applying a coat of color preserver over them). I leave the rod blank on the rod supports and wipe the drips off of the bottom of the blank, as they appear, with a brush, or spatula, being careful not to touch the blank. After 3 - 5 minutes I manually rotate the blank 180 degrees and wait for any drop to appear on the bottom of the blank. While doing this, I also monitor the guides, as I coat them at the same time. I continue to do this for about an hour and then place the rod in my drying cabinet. You will find it is not necessary to rotate the rod every 3-5 minutes, as the epoxy starts to set up and the time between rotations will increase.

This a bullet proof method to insure a smooth as glass epoxy over the decals. Since I started following this procedure, I have never had a bad result,

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Date: April 24, 2020 07:46PM

I also do 3 coats almost always. I don't have an issue with bubbles. Even while applying...no bubbles. If there is a bubble or two they pop when I heat them with a gun. I also use a brush. Thanks!

Date: April 24, 2020 07:50PM

Interesting...I've never heard the color preserver comment. After reading the different techniques it seems people have their own way. I'm going to try the color preserver on an old rod. I think one of my biggest issues is that I try too hard. thanks for the comment!

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: April 24, 2020 09:10PM

If not smooth, I have sanded down with fine grit paper and applied one or two thin coats and it was no longer unevern.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 24, 2020 09:25PM

I'm with Don. Michael, what are these bubbles of which you speak? lol

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 25, 2020 03:18PM

Todd,
I'm with Don, but I haven't tried his epoxy application method. I've got some old spare decals which I'm going to devote to his process to check it out. I'm always looking for better ways to skin the cat. I always use color preserver immediately over the applied decal; once you've burnished it down, it seals down the decal to prevent the edges from lifting up (I prefer Flex Coat CP for this task). It completely disappears under the epoxy finish.

Date: April 29, 2020 08:50PM

Thanks David! I will try that practice first.

Posted by: Johnny Apel (---.lightspeed.austtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 02, 2020 10:44PM

I'm new to this forum (first post here in fact), and I'd like to share what I've done recently to combat this. To start I first put on a base layer to the decal/label area with a brush and do the first coat on my guides, let dry for 24 hours.

Then (be sure you have foil or something underneath the application area you do not care about for this process):
1. I have the rod on a 9 rpm dryer
2. I mix up a fresh batch of epoxy, just 6ml total
3. I pour the epoxy on lengthwise from the start of the base layer to the end
4. Rotate the rod 90 and pour lengthwise again
5. Turn
6. Repeat with the other area in the same process if I have two labels/decals
7. Wick off excess
8. Let turn on the dryer and inspect for excess for 15-20 minutes

I used to struggle with this so much I didn't know what to do. Then I saw a commercial where a chocolate bar was being covered with chocolate in vast excess, and the excess went through the grated conveyor. Bingo.

I know this sounds stupid, but it works haha.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster