I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Smooth finish over rod label/decal???
Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: April 24, 2020 11:36AM

Buongiorno Fratelli! I always have trouble getting a totally smooth, non wavy finish on longer runs when applying finish over my decals or labels on my builds. Makes me crazy! Any tips? They do look better since going horizontally. It could be I am just not good or I am trying to be too good. Help? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Smooth finish over rod label/decal???
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 24, 2020 11:58AM

Here is the method I use to get a good smooth and level finish over decals.

First a thin application of the epoxy on the blank where the decal will sit.
When this coat is cured to the point where it will not finger print, I apply the decal, burnishing well into the pliable epoxy.
Apply the overcoat of epoxy from a new mix so that flows and levels well, being careful to not apply too much!

Date: April 24, 2020 01:16PM

thanks Phil. I will need to try that on an old rod before I attempt it on a new build. You are probably a lot better builder than I am. My turner is only 18RPM but is a clutch and that part has helped me but I am thinking I need more rpm's.

Posted by: Keith Langford (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 24, 2020 01:21PM

Roger and Norman, do yall prefer a spatula or brush to apply finish in general

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2020 01:25PM

This is how we do it:

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Date: April 24, 2020 01:58PM

Thanks! I really need a faster motor. And....more experience .hanks again!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 24, 2020 02:22PM

An 18 to 20 RPM motor is fine for applying epoxy, a faster motor just make application a little faster. The secret is to apply a thin coat. The thicker the coat the harder it is to get a good level coat. I think most people use too much epoxy over labels, and that is a mistake. Finish epoxies are all self leveling (some better than other) so just let it do its thing. After coating I stop the motor for a few minutes and if the finish sags I remove the excess. I use a brush to apply epoxy but I don’t brush the epoxy on, I just apply it and let it self level on its own. For curing, I believe I get a smoother more level finish using a low RPM (4-9 rpms) drying motor. In fact when I first started building rods I turned the rod by hand. Because of this I learned very quickly how much epoxy was too much.
Norm

Date: April 24, 2020 02:46PM

Thanks Norm. I already learned my lesson on too much. I use thin coats. I might be too thin after watching the flex coat video. All of my guide wraps turn out good after finishing, it's just the long runs. I apply it horizontally...make sure the blank is all covered and then use a heat gun only briefly. That seems to thin the epoxy and it smooths some. Thanks again! I really appreciate you all sharing knowledge and experience!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster