I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: North Fork Composites X Ray SJ 703 WOW
Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 29, 2020 10:03PM

David Baylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dean, I did CCS tests on one of the rods I built
> on the MB 736 X ray. I came up with an IP of 793,
> and an AA of 75.

That seems high for the MB 736. Sounds more like the SJ 736 from what I have read, but who knows.

There is about a 1/2 oz difference in weight between the two blanks with the SJ being the heavier one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 29, 2020 11:08PM

My IP numer for the NFC MB736 X-RAY was 674 gm.
Norm

Posted by: Robert Dittert III (---)
Date: April 30, 2020 12:58AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
> The NFC SKU for the SJ703 X-RAY is 06406. So the
> SKU is correct, but the varience in weight is much
> too great for it to be the correct blank. I think
> you got a mislabeled blank, contact NFC and let
> them know.
> Norm

Tried emailing, I'll try calling them soon.

Thanks.

Date: April 30, 2020 07:56AM

David Miller Wrote:
> Hey Robert,
>
> Yeah mine had a label that I think was the same as
> yours that I already thrown away, also with the
> SJ 703 label in the bag. What is the length of
> your blank? If it is 83.5 inches like mine I would
> agree that is a big variance. Is the butt diameter
> right at 1/2 inch?

I'll check out the length and diameter later today, thanks David.

Date: April 30, 2020 11:04AM

David Miller Wrote:
> Hey Robert,
>
> Yeah mine had a label that I think was the same as
> yours that I already thrown away, also with the
> SJ 703 label in the bag. What is the length of
> your blank? If it is 83.5 inches like mine I would
> agree that is a big variance. Is the butt diameter
> right at 1/2 inch?

Right at 84 inches and a larger butt diameter .56. Curious which blank I got instead of the X-Ray SJ-703? I'll try to call them today.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: April 30, 2020 06:30PM

Dean, you're right ..... who knows. I went out to the boat and brought both of the rods I built on what I think are MB 736 blanks. What you said about the numbers I quoted as sounding more like an SJ 736, and the numbers that Norman quoted for the MB 736 got me wondering. So I tested both rods.

I got an IP of 793 for the one rod, and an IP of 815 for the other. The AAs were 75 and 74, respectively. The numbers being presented in this thread have me wondering if I too may have gotten a blank other than the one I ordered. Part of the reason I am thinking this is the size of the tube on the tip top I used on both rods. They had and have, the tip size for the MB 736 listed in mm, so I converted that to inches and then 64ths of an inch to order the tip tops. It came out to a 4.2 tube, so I ordered a 4 and a 4.5 tube. I did that because I already had the thought of sanding the blanks in my head when I ordered them.

I did end up sanding the blanks so that they were smooth and I fully expected that I would need to use the 4.0 tube tip top. Nope, I had to use the 4.5 tube tip top, and I had to sand the tip a little more than what I had initially sanded it to. I do remember measuring the butts of the blank and coming up with .590 for one of them, and .586 for the other. That's bigger than the SJ, but right where I figured the MB would be. See I believe there is a misprint on NFCs web site for the MB blank, as they have the butt listed at .490. I think I remember a thread where Norman and I brought that up.

Another thought that I may actually have SJ 736 blanks is that I didn't receive decals with the blanks when I got them. Well I recently was able to get NFC to send me 2 decals for the blanks. In the e mail I said I needed decals for the MB736 blank but also mentioned that they should have it on record which blanks I ordered. They sent me decals for the SJ 736. I wrote them back and told them I had ordered MB blanks, so they sent me 2 decals for the MB 736.

I wonder which blanks I actually have?

Posted by: David Miller (---)
Date: April 30, 2020 06:43PM

Robert Dittert III Wrote:
> David Miller Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hey Robert,
> >
> > Yeah mine had a label that I think was the same
> as
> > yours that I already thrown away, also with
> the
> > SJ 703 label in the bag. What is the length of
> > your blank? If it is 83.5 inches like mine I
> would
> > agree that is a big variance. Is the butt
> diameter
> > right at 1/2 inch?
>
> Right at 84 inches and a larger butt diameter .56.
> Curious which blank I got instead of the X-Ray
> SJ-703? I'll try to call them today.

No X Ray that they have available matches those specs. The specs of the MB 705 Delta looks very close to your numbers though.

Date: April 30, 2020 11:58PM

David, this is my first X-Ray blank and I've not built on the NFC Delta blanks. So no reference on either blanks, but it does have raised ridges and not a smooth finish, which per things I've read sounds like the X-Ray blanks?

Got a reply from Alex at NFC this afternoon and sounds like they will be sending me a couple of replacement blanks soon. Bought two of the X-Ray SJ-703 and both blanks have the same weight (2.00 oz) & both had a tip tube size of 6?

Thanks for the information David.

Hopefully it won't take to long to get the replacement blanks.

Date: May 01, 2020 03:50AM

Yeah a size 6 tip is way off my SJ703 is a 5. Even the Delta MB705 that I mentioned doesn’t have a size 6 tip. They could use the same mandrel that another model blank is made on but it was trimmed wrong. Comparing the SJ732 to the SJ703 the 703 would have a .56 butt if it was 3 inches longer from the butt. This is all speculation though as they make more models than listed available for other rod companies.

I should of mentioned that when I received my SJ732 2 years ago with a blemish near the tip North Fork Composites made it right with me by giving me a partial refund. They take care of issues which is all that I can ask for as mistakes happen to all companies.

Posted by: Ross Montgomery (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: May 03, 2020 06:57PM

I recently picked up this blank too. I liked the specs and picked up with the last discount. I was thinking of trimming 2” off the butt and making it into a casting rod for jerkbaits. Based on your experience and the specs of this blank, do you think this would be a good option for it.

Thanks

Date: May 04, 2020 08:03PM

Ross Montgomery Wrote:
> I recently picked up this blank too. I liked the
> specs and picked up with the last discount. I was
> thinking of trimming 2” off the butt and making
> it into a casting rod for jerkbaits. Based on your
> experience and the specs of this blank, do you
> think this would be a good option for it.
>
> Thanks

Hey Ross,

I really don’t know what makes the best jerkbait rod, some folks like them short around 6’ so the tip doesn’t hit the water with the rod tip down from a boat. For me I mostly fish from a kayak so most of my rods aren’t specialized and the working the lure is tip up or to the side. I think though it has enough tip stiffness to work a jerkbait , have enough flex in middle to help keep treble hooks pinned and a decent backbone for hooksets. This blank too with it being so light won’t be so fatiguing to work the lure for more time on the water. I certainly plan to use some 3/8 oz Mirrodine twitch baits and suspending jerkbaits like Xraps with my SJ703.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2020 03:59AM by David Miller.

Posted by: Ray Cates (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 05, 2020 10:23PM

Late to this thread but I received one of the SJ 703’s A couple weeks ago and my immediate reaction was that this is a light to ultra light power. Very disappointed for what I had planned for this blank. I haven’t done all the scientific analysis but the feel in hand is a very light power. I immediately sent an email to NFC questioning if I received the correct blank. No way this blank is rated for 3/4 oz. Have not received a response.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (23.82.14.---)
Date: May 06, 2020 10:31PM

My guess is that is it more of a popping blank action. It will not match their MB 736 in power like then specs alone suggest.

Date: May 09, 2020 09:50AM

Ray Cates Wrote:
> Late to this thread but I received one of the SJ
> 703’s A couple weeks ago and my immediate
> reaction was that this is a light to ultra light
> power. Very disappointed for what I had planned
> for this blank. I haven’t done all the
> scientific analysis but the feel in hand is a very
> light power. I immediately sent an email to NFC
> questioning if I received the correct blank. No
> way this blank is rated for 3/4 oz. Have not
> received a response.

Hey Ray just saw your post. I know power is subjective to the angler, manufacturers and also rod uses popping vs spin jig. The blank I received with 440g of power I would consider pretty much medium to ml power. If you truly receive a light to ultra light blank I certainly would want a replacement. I agree with you that from handling this SJ 703 it is pretty much a 8-12 or 8-14 lb line 1/4 to 5/8 oz lure. It might “cast” lob 3/4 oz but I sure wouldn’t put much power in the cast.

Date: May 09, 2020 10:06AM

Dean Veltman Wrote:
> My guess is that is it more of a popping blank
> action. It will not match their MB 736 in power
> like then specs alone suggest.

NFC has the 703 listed as ml and MB736 as mh so I knew that it wasn’t going be a really strong medium but I was hoping for it to be closer to 500g of power. With that said I think that was asking too much for a blank that only weighs around 1.5 oz. There is plenty of blanks that have the same lure casting range but different powers because of how much material is near the butt and taper but I agree I think the SJ703 is more 5/8 oz tops lure with any power behind the cast.

Date: May 11, 2020 04:50PM

Wanted to update my mis-shipped original order for 2 X-Ray SJ-703. Got a rod tube delivered on Saturday with the replacement blanks. Pulled one blank out of the plastic and weighed the blank and it was 1.4 oz. Sounds like I gott the correct blanks.

Wanted to says thanks to Alex at NFC for getting this issue fixed for me and get my order correct.

Look forward to building on this new X-Ray blank.

Date: May 16, 2020 07:22PM

That is good news Robert.

Posted by: Robert Dittert III (---.lightspeed.tulsok.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 19, 2020 12:03PM

David Miller Wrote:
> That is good news Robert.

It is David! I'm glad you posted about your blank (even though I had already sent NFC an email asking about the blanks I received) as it made me reach out again to NFC as I was now sure I got the wrong blanks.

I had thought that NFC X-Ray blanks were the only blanks from NFC that had ridges (non-sanded blank), but it sounds like the Delta blanks also have the raised ridges, non-sanded blanks.

I'm pretty sure the first two blanks I received are Delta blanks, as none of the X-Ray blanks have the same length as these blanks 84 inches and a size 6 tip top tube. Seems like one of the Med-Heavy or Heavy rated blanks Delta blanks? Not sure?

Thanks again for posting, I was going to just contact you personally through email, but your email was hidden.

Posted by: Mariusz Kowalik (---.184.167.71.ipv4.supernova.orange.pl)
Date: June 03, 2020 02:30AM

I've got quite similar issue like Robert Dittert faced but without happy end: I've ordered 2 X-Ray SJ-703 and received 2 rod blanks labeled as X-Ray SJ-703 but their weight is 2,0 oz. (tip size 6, butt 0,56)...
So I asked NFC for a few times for replacement starting 2 weeks ago. No response and any proposal from them till now :(

Date: June 05, 2020 12:41AM

Mariusz Kowalik Wrote:
> I've got quite similar issue like Robert Dittert
> faced but without happy end: I've ordered 2 X-Ray
> SJ-703 and received 2 rod blanks labeled as X-Ray
> SJ-703 but their weight is 2,0 oz. (tip size 6,
> butt 0,56)...
> So I asked NFC for a few times for replacement
> starting 2 weeks ago. No response and any proposal
> from them till now :(

I'd try calling (leave a message) & send them another email. I didn't get a reply the first time I emailed them either. Good luck.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster