I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CRB Drying Tent Versus Rod Drying Box
Posted by: Matt Hehn (---.static.123.net)
Date: April 23, 2020 07:56AM

My new rod building space is in a basement. I can't heat the room to 70 - 80 degrees for curing rod finished. I'm considering buying one of the CRB Drying Tents with a heater or build a rod drying box with a heater. I'm curious if anyone has experience with either options or thoughts.

I like the cost of the CRB Tent and that I can collapse it when not in use.

Thank you,

Matt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CRB Drying Tent Versus Rod Drying Box
Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2020 08:19AM

I built a wood box that is filled with Christmas tree lights. Gets to about 90-100.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 23, 2020 08:53AM

If you are going to build a lot of rods, the solid box will be better for you.

On the other hand, if you are only going to build a few rods, the tent will suffice.

Or, if you want to go to a simple method, just stop over to an appliance shop and pick up a cardboard refrigerator box and cut it down and tape it together as necessary to form a box for you. A bit clumsy, but it will work fine for you.

Or, if you wish, you could just take a string of about 4 or 5 standard light bulb sockets with 50 watt bulbs in them and put them behind the drying rods on the bench and sufficient heat will be generated to nicely warm the rod without the need for a box.

You could just do the bulb thing and then take a thermometer and after having the bulbs on for a few hours, take representative readings of the air temperature in the area where a rod would be drying.

If the room is big and the area is large, you could just take a piece of foil sided foam board, and put a dowel in each corner to support it and support it a couple of feet over the top of the drying area and that would contain the bulk of the heat to provide a reasonably uniform drying area for your rod.

Or you could pick up a panel or two of rigid foam insulation and a roll of duct tape and use the insulation to form a 3 sided box for drying. If you wish, you could also have a front cover of foam that could be held in place with duct tape. When needing access, fold the front cover back on the top.
[www.homedepot.com]

Best wishes

Posted by: Jim Underwood (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 23, 2020 09:37AM

I have the CRB tent and am very happy with it, it's lite and easy to store during the off season, I was going to build a drying box but I dont have enough wall space in my garage.

However, I only use it to keep the dust at bay as my garage is heated.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 23, 2020 12:00PM

Dean - Creative thinking indeed. Great idea!

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 23, 2020 03:56PM

Matt,
Without knowing your access to tools, fabrication skills, available time and expendable cash, consider looking at the heated cabinet I made for ideas. The three, 8ft sections nest inside one another when not in use. It did require quite a bit of time and fair amount of money but it has been worth every penny and day spent to fabricate.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: April 23, 2020 07:35PM

First rate work Mark....

I’m considering a multi-rod box that can hang from slatboard on the wall - would allow it to be taken down if needed

My bench in in a finished basement which stays on the cool side around 63-65 - and an air vent is right over the bench which I know will distribute dust and dog hair - so looking to make something....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster