I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Avet sx 5.1 Bearings
Posted by: James Trenner (---)
Date: April 21, 2020 09:35PM

Hello,

I know this is a rod building forum but I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find some bearings for a avet sx 5.1 reel that I recently acquired. Or at least point me in the correct direction.

I’d appreciate it very much.

Thanks,
James

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Avet sx 5.1 Bearings
Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: April 21, 2020 11:02PM

Here is an odyssey for you. If you can measure the bearing, OD, ID, thickness. Then go to McMaster Carr catalog and using the dimensions you can find a bearing and a industry part number, if you don't want to buy from McMaster Carr you can go on @#$%& using the dimensions or the part number.
If the reel is not too old try the manufacturer.

Good luck

John

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: April 21, 2020 11:38PM

BocaBearing would be one source

This is a great resource of info on Avet reels
[alantani.com]

Date: April 22, 2020 12:11AM

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it!

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 22, 2020 06:59AM

Honestly you can’t beat the factory pricing. Or at least that used to be true.

If you try to use to much drag pressure you will eat pinion bearings. So get a few as shipping might cost more than the bearings.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (165.225.39.---)
Date: April 22, 2020 08:16AM

Do they still offer the overhaul service for 35$ ?

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: April 22, 2020 03:32PM

Good point Russell. Forgot about that totally. Perhaps not as high quality as Boca bearings but most likely good enough. Love my Avet’s....

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.orlf.qwest.net)
Date: April 22, 2020 06:01PM

If you can measure it for the size and have time and are frugal you can order it/them on @#$%& for 1/10 the cost from boca or mcmaster carr. They usually have free shipping. Ceramic bearings are the best for saltwater longevity.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 22, 2020 08:47PM

James,
If you live in a metro area, you can remove the bearing from the reel, go to a bearing supply house, have them measure and sell you the correct bearing for your reel.

Here in the Minneapolis area we have Gopher Bearing supply which carries a huge supply of bearings. Of course if you have a caliper so that you can measure the bearing, you can call the supply house first so that you can be sure that they will have it at will call for you when you stop in.

Take care

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 22, 2020 08:57PM

James,
If you live in a metro area, you can remove the bearing from the reel, go to a bearing supply house, have them measure and sell you the correct bearing for your reel.

Here in the Minneapolis area we have Gopher Bearing supply which carries a huge supply of bearings. Of course if you have a caliper so that you can measure the bearing, you can call the supply house first so that you can be sure that they will have it at will call for you when you stop in.

Take care

p.s.
An on line bearing supply house:
[www.vxb.com]

You might find the bearings you need from this listing on @#$%&:
[]

Are these the ones that you need?
[www.vxb.com]

or,
[www.amazon.com]

Here are some nice and expensive bearings if you wish:
[www.bocabearings.com]

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 25, 2020 03:36PM

James,

I fished on a long range boat a few years ago with a guy who spent all his time away from the rail tearing apart his Avets and cleaning and adjusting them. He was absolutely 100% into Boca Bearings. His rationale was that if you're after fish of the size you hope to catch, investing a little more into top quality bearings was insignificant. Avet reels are excellent quality (I own two), and the only complaint I ever heard was that the bearings should be better for what you pay for a reel of that quality. He also said he preferred to do his own maintenance because if you ruin a bearing and send it in to Avet for repair, you're going to get the same quality of bearing that failed the first time. I've got my two reels in my shop right now for cleaning and lubing prior to this year's trip (COVID-19 permitting), and I'm probably going to replace the existing bearings with Boca ceramics.

Dave Sytsma

Date: April 25, 2020 05:39PM

Thanks for the replies. I contacted Avet and they said I could ship the reel to them and they service and replace any bad bearings for 40$. Since I believe the majority of the bearings were bad I went ahead and shipped it to them. I guess we’ll see if this will solve the problem I was having.

Any other question. Since everyone thought it was a good idea to go out and buy up all the rubbing alcohol what are you using to clean up epoxy? I always used denatured alcohol or rubbing, can’t find it anywhere now. Does mineral oil work?

Thanks again!
James

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 01, 2020 10:06AM

James,

I use denatured alcohol most of the time for epoxy clean up, acetone the rest of the time. They are a little more aggressive than 70% isopropyl, but work better in my opinion. Just be careful where you use acetone so you don't compromise coatings on the blanks. Never use it on painted blanks. I buy my DNA by the gallon from Lowes or Home Depot.

Dave Sytsma

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster