I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC Neo Reel Seat Suggestions
Posted by: Jason Haney (---.224.22.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 21, 2020 09:31PM

My NFC X-Ray NEO just showed up. It was love at first feel. I'm pairing it with one of NFC's soft touch grips. None of the reel seats I have at the moment fit it correctly. My last two casting builds have been with the Fuji ACS reel seat and I'm looking to try something different this time. For anyone who has already built on a NEO blank and love the way it turned out, what model/size reel seat did you choose? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC Neo Reel Seat Suggestions
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 21, 2020 10:11PM

Don't fit the blank, or the soft touch grip?

Date: April 22, 2020 07:25AM

Spencer,

They're exposed blank through seats that are too small for the NEO. I don't mind reaming them out a little, but they barely make it down half the blank. It'd take considerable reaming to get them to fit correctly.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2020 08:01AM

I used a Fuji ECS on mine. It feels like the blank taper really straightens out at the bottom of the blank. I started with what I had on hand, a 13.5 so it was a lot of reaming. I had to put my reamer in the rod lathe to get it done. It was more work than expected. The barrel of the reel seat still fit fine though, just the smallest gap between the barrel and the blank. I am trying to use up some of my components that are laying around, so I didn’t order a new seat.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 22, 2020 09:50AM

The butt diameter on the NEO is just about 15 mm. Both the ACS and ECSM reel seats come in variable IDs up to 17mm. So there should be no problem buying a reel seat that fits. Just measure the OD of the blank where you want the reel seat, and then order a reel seat that will fit.
Norm

Posted by: Pat Haley (---.newsourcebroadband.com)
Date: April 22, 2020 12:55PM

I did as Norm suggest. Ended up using a ECSM 13.5 on the MB 7109 and ECSM 14 on the MB 7108, MB736 and SJ 736 all X-Ray blanks. Took minimal reaming. It stopped about 9 inched above location. Reamed them out by hand using a reamer. The grip fit against the real seat. As I understand from NFC the arbor is designed to go under the real seat and the grip. I did not install them that way. I used masking tape on the grips.
Pat

Posted by: benjie bates (---)
Date: April 22, 2020 04:05PM

Hey

Little off subject

But how do you like the blank?

Is it powerful ?

Would it make a good medium duty saltwater spinning rod ???

Date: April 23, 2020 07:19AM

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I'll probably go with the ECMS.

Benjie, I don't know anything about saltwater fishing. I plan on throwing large, deep diving crankbaits and heavy spinnerbaits with it. Feels like it'll load real nice on the cast but if you lean on one, it's going to bury hooks. Soft tip and then a lot of meat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster