I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St Croix "Old Brownie" SCV Rebuild
Posted by: Ron Beloff (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 20, 2020 03:05PM

Renovating and old 7' casting rod with up-to-date Fugi grips, reel seat, and guides. The rod before stripping weighed in at 9.34 oz. The stripped rod blank now weighs 2.33 oz.

The planned KR Concept reduction train is:
LKW10-LKW6-KB4-KB4-KB4-KT4-KT4-KT4-KT4-KT4-LG tip top. All guides are CG silver Alconite.

Looking for a suggested line guide to stripper guide distance. Looking at a PB76MHXF (before it was "re-labeled" as a MHF rod) I built years ago, that distance was 22" - but that was for a 7'6" rod.

Assistance appreciated. Never used the LKW guides before.but I guess they are close in height to the KWs...

Ron B.

Ron Beloff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St Croix "Old Brownie" SCV Rebuild
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 20, 2020 04:59PM

Your guide line-up looks good to me, although I didn't count them. Your stress test and whether you build it on top or spiral will determine the number. You could take the KB's out a couple more. And the KB and KT 4's are really small guides. Make sure you are confident with tying a knot that will go through them well with pound test leader knots (if any) that you plan to use. If I were doing it, I would probably go to 5's so I would be sure a knot made of 20 braid and 20 FC would go through well. I am always in favor of designing rods that are versatile, that will work even if you change your mind about reel size, pound test line, leader vs no leader knot, etc.

Date: April 20, 2020 05:13PM

Thanks for your input.

Rod has two duties:
(1) Flipping and pitching and
(2) Casting HB frogs.

This is my dedicated SLOP rod. 65 lb braid is all I ever use. The Berkley X9 65 braid is like 50 lb diameter. No knots -.straight from to lure.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 20, 2020 07:18PM

LKW-10, 15.1mm KW-10, 14.6mm in height. 20 - 22" ahead of the reel guide should also be fine. Should come in right around 5 oz.s. Don't hold me to that, lol

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: April 21, 2020 06:57PM

I've used the Mudhole elite chart (the one laid out for using more guides than the standard chart) on moderate, moderate fast, and fast action casting blanks. At first, I started checking the chart's spacing against storyboards from attempts at static loading. The proportional, progressive, and close spacing of the chart closely matched what appeared to be optimum across this wide range of actions on several 84-86 inch rods. I've experienced very good casting distances on rods built to this chart, especially on ones with the KR system. Certainly, more experienced builders than me could usually tweak and improve over this table on individual blanks. My semi-scientific takeaway, though, is that less experienced builders would have a hard time going very wrong with this chart. This would seem to check out mathematically. The distance between a stripping guide and the tip on an 84" casting rod is going to be pretty close to 50" (unless a pretty non-standard grip length is used). If you are spanning this with nine guides, and proportionally decreasing the spacing going towards the tip, there just isn't a great deal of possible variance. In this table, the stripping guide is 49 3/4" from the tip and the second guide is 41 1/8" for a 8 5/8" difference. This also puts about a 20-22 inch increment to the reel guide.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2020 07:20PM by Kendall Cikanek.

Date: April 22, 2020 07:11PM

Thanks for inputs. Hoping it will be a light rod when done (it has to be lighter than it's original build weight of 9.34 oz!). My PB 761MHXF came in around 4.7oz.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 23, 2020 09:04PM

Your'e doing good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster