I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rodgeeks blanks
Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: April 20, 2020 11:36AM

I'm an older guy and don't like change so I haven't wanted to fish with or build on a one piece rod. However, I think I might be changing. I have always been a St. Croix fan. I was not happy when they started having another company take over most of their blank building. I talked with a couple people recently and was told that St. Croix now bought out RODgeeks but is keeping the name and factory going in Mexico. I liked it better in USA of course! Now...I have been looking at the carbon 4 6'3"ML and the 6'6"ML. I have too many Light rods so wanted to change it up some. I normally (almost always) fish trout. Does any one have an opinion or experience with the RODgeeks Carbon 4? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rodgeeks blanks
Posted by: charles nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: April 20, 2020 12:40PM

The Rodgeeks blanks are St. Croix blanks built on the same exact manufacturing equipment that St. Croixs Park Falls Wisconsin factory utilizes . Rodgeeks Fresnillo Mexico location is an exact copy of St. Croixs factory in the USA it's just a joint venture . Anyway, i have many RodGeeks blanks and USA made St. Croix blanks and i can't tell any difference. They're made on the same mandrels with the exact same resins , carbons etc.. and designed by the exact same St. Croix long time blank designer Jason Brunner.

Rodgeeks doesn't offer every St. Croix model though . The Carbon 4 blanks are fantastic just like the St. Croix SC IV but considerably cheaper . I wish Rodgeeks would offer their Surf blank series in Carbon 4 though as that would be a real game changer but they only offer them in carbon II . You can't go wrong with Rodgeeks blanks and the incredible color options list is truly mind boggling . I always purchase the unpainted blanks.

Date: April 20, 2020 01:03PM

Thank you Charles!! Nice to hear from somebody that has built and used RODgeeks blanks. I had heard the info you gave me but I am always a little hesitant. When they are open for business again I will buy me one and get to work on it. Thanks!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 20, 2020 01:56PM

I have quite a bit of experience with Rodgeeks- very good company with very good product. Carbon 4's are what I've built, mostly.

Date: April 20, 2020 02:56PM

Thanks Michael! The price is right too! Now I just need to wait for them to open up again. I believe safety before rod building. Every body be smart and stay safe and healthy!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 20, 2020 05:08PM

Jason Brunner from St Croix, Bob Penica from Rodgeeks, & I designed their line of Saltwater Composite blanks, the X-Comp series. There are currently 12 models in 7'3 & 8' lengths, and once they are manufacturing blanks again, they will release a new line up of 7'3 High Modulus Composite blanks in 5 models.

Great people to deal with, and they make a high quality product at an affordable price point

Date: April 21, 2020 09:44PM

thank you! I have talked with them on the phone and they seem very nice and helpful. Thanks for the info!

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 21, 2020 11:20PM

Rod Geeks is also very good with customer service. I broke a tip of a 4 piece fly rod and they got me another one very quickly. I bought some blanks at the show in February. I started to build one, a C4, and rotated it to find the central axis. There was no eccentricity, rare for any rod, so I built it on the spine.

Date: April 22, 2020 05:33PM

Thanks Ed. I have decided to order one as soon as they open back up. As far as eccentricity goes (I had to look that definition up) Lamiglas are the all time worst for bends in my experience. MHX have been good but the least eccentric was the NFC I just finished. I will b e happy to get back going in life. Thanks again!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster