I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Balancing a new blank
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 21, 2020 12:24PM

With a drop shot blank do you balance the rod for just one weight or do you use different sized-weights and balance the rod for the average weight you use?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: April 21, 2020 12:33PM

Ben, I get what you're saying, but for me my adding weight to the butt of the rod to get the balance point I want, is all about being able to use the rod efficiently, and comfortably. I'd rather add weight than change the way I hold the rod. For instance .... how people a spinning rod. I know a lot of people that hold a spinning rod with 3 fingers in front of the reel's stem, with just the pinky finger behind it. Myself, I hold one with the stem between my middle and ring finger. For me it's most comfortable that way. It's also more efficient for me as well. I have fairly large hands and long fingers. If I grip it as the others I mentioned above do, I find it difficult to pick up the line, and I also have to worry about the rotor clearing my knuckles.

The same goes for a casting rod. I palm the reel. Doing so gives me something much more substantial to hold on than if I had to move my hand off the reel just so the rod/reel combination would feel more balanced, and therefore be much less fatiguing.

In the end it's personal preference. I see a lot of people on here that are adverse to the mere idea of adding weight to a rod. I'm not one of those people. I don't add weight to impress people with my process. I add weight because the benefits which Steve outlined so perfectly, are real and quantifiable. The only thing that impresses anyone about a beautifully balanced rod and reel, is how nice it is to fish with one.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 21, 2020 01:20PM

David, i agree with every thing you pointed out..i only wanted to express another view, old as it may seem..you know at one time all fishging rods came with a good foregrip and they were used, worked very well..such as on a casting outfit, when holding the front grip, the line is right there begging to be sensed by your fingers..there were no graphite rods back then..you had to use the line which actually tells you more than a graphite rod by itself even when crank fishing..we had braids, especially braided dacron by gudebrod which on a glass rod would have obsoleted graphite in my opinion..lol. but the super lines are much thinner and can be used on spinning very well...and these super thin lines cut so well through the water(less line belly) than dacron making for better sensitivity and hook sets..i guess what i,m saying is that the old ways can still be used with the new tech. and still work as well, maybe better..lol.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 21, 2020 09:50PM

Phil, when drop shot fishing, the weight, be it an ounce or a pound, sits on the bottom. So no.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 22, 2020 09:29AM

Thanks, Lynn. I got lazy- should have looked it up. I take it then that "balancing" a drop-shot rod involves balancing it to the bait (s) being used above the weight?

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 22, 2020 05:51PM

If the rod sits, "hangs" in your hand with the tip attitude you prefer, for your comfort, you got it. The weight of most baits used is negligible in my opinion.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 22, 2020 09:06PM

Phil,
The normal way to balance a rod and reel, is to put a reel on the rod tha you plan to use loaded with the line you plan to use and find the balance point of the setup with nothing tied to the end of the line and no terminal tackle of any kind.

The key thing about rod balance is when one does slack line fishing. i.e. with any bait or lure resting on the bottom and the rod held in an open hand at your convenient rod holding point which should also be the balance point the rod will be neither tip heavy or light.

Exactly copy the comment that Lynn B just made.

Remember when jig and other forms of fishing where the line is slack normally involved the bait or lure sitting on the bottom with a slack line running too it and not affecting the rod balance.

That way, when a fish picks up the bait, the perfectly balanced rod will easily transfer those vibrations through the line, as you just get the line tight from the former slack line position.

Take care

Posted by: Keith Langford (---)
Date: April 25, 2020 08:34PM

Thanks Roger that is exactly what I just did on the rod I am building right Now ( my second Rod build ) and it feels really good. I am hoping this turns out to be the best rod I have ever fished with, have some really nice components, at least I think I do. With you and Normans guidance on guides it should be a keeper, really happy with how the split grip and reel seat turned out

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster