I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank suggestion - 5' ultra light
Posted by: ethan johnson (---.cpe.echoes.net)
Date: April 19, 2020 04:16PM

looking for suggestions on a 5' ul for stream fishing trout . glass? graphite ? preferably the lighter the better

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank suggestion - 5' ultra light
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 19, 2020 04:19PM

Lighter in line/lure rating, or overall weight?

Date: April 19, 2020 04:24PM

overall weight and line im gona go with not over 6 ( im a bass guy forgive me haha)

Posted by: Tim Kipp (---)
Date: April 19, 2020 05:40PM

I like the MHX s661, ultralight with a fast action. Those are 5'6" however. They have a 5 footer s6010 ultralight with a moderate action. I have not built on that blank. I am currently building 2 661"s now.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 19, 2020 06:46PM

I have used all of the MHX UL blanks over the years, they are a very good bang for the buck. You can get them in two piece versions, and come with one of best warranties around.
Norm

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (---)
Date: April 19, 2020 06:53PM

NFC 5 ‘ ultralight

[northforkcomposites.com]

Add to cart - they are on sale.

Best,
Alex

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 19, 2020 07:18PM

Why 5 feet? Short rods don't cast well, are hard to set hooks with. They are much harder to fish with than longer rods. There are a number of fine 7 foot ultralights.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 19, 2020 08:01PM

i fish mainly farm ponds and use an E-glass rod cut back to 5o"..it makes a great bush rod in tree crowded ponds or small streams..it came from a med.lt. blank..i don,t know the power after being cut back but with braided line it sets the hook quite well ( i,m crankin' something most times)..i can use up to 1/4 oz baits or more with comfort..fighting a fish is no problem and feels like a longer rod..that,s the beauty of glass..it makes great bow&arrow casts when needed another great feature of glass..last time out i tripped and broke it in two..i have an extra blank and can make another for under $30..lol.

Date: April 19, 2020 08:12PM

the short length is for the streams we have around here , lots of heavy cover and you can jump over most of them lol

Date: April 19, 2020 08:14PM

am currently looking at the mhx s6010 seems like itll do just fine but im always open to options thanks for the quick help

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 20, 2020 11:11AM

Under those conditions I've found the slower response of the fiberglass blank to be an advantage in putting my offering "in the spot, of the spot" the size of the rod, amount of line out and lack of mass gives me sensitivity I need and a full flexed glass rod is just fun to look at while, fighting the fish. I use a 1 to 4 lb. rated, 5 ft. Fenwick Fenglass rod I built for your conditions.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 20, 2020 05:00PM

Ethan, got it on the need for short.

Posted by: Mike Corn (---.sub-174-253-129.myvzw.com)
Date: April 21, 2020 11:13AM

Ethan...that blank will do great. We have those same small trout streams where I grew up as a kid. We actually used fly rods spooled with a little mono to fish the small creeks. We would swing/flip/shoot in-line spinners where we wanted and just drag them across the pockets. So much fun back in the day. Side note....my favorite trout rod now is the 6'2 Immortal (IMMWS62L) with a sk2 skeleton seat.

ethan johnson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> am currently looking at the mhx s6010 seems like
> itll do just fine but im always open to options
> thanks for the quick help

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2020 12:25AM

I fish a lot of small streams for trout. The best all around blank I found was a NFC FW 602-1 (Delta). The action of the blank is Mod fast leaning towards the mod side. It has enough backbone to set the hook when I am drifting a worm on a slack line. It also works great for lightweight spinners. In the past I would used a slow to mod rod for spinners and a fast for worm fishing. This blank does both with no complaints. Very lightweight and sensitive. I have gave it a work out on some rather large spring pond trout in the 18 inch range and the rod handled them just fine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster