I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What's new?
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 19, 2020 02:07PM

Out of curiosity, what would you name as the most significant innovation in rod building components and the most significant innovation in rod building techniques in the last 10 years or so?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's new?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 19, 2020 02:35PM

Foam-Core, Carbon-Fiber skinned grips (although they're 14 years old now). The Microwave System has simplified spinning rod guide set-up by a large measure.

Otherwise most of the assembly techniques haven't changed by much.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 19, 2020 02:48PM

KR guide concept. Best I've ever used.
Norm

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---)
Date: April 19, 2020 05:52PM

I'm going to go with the soul and accuracy built into todays blanks.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---)
Date: April 19, 2020 09:11PM

I don't know if it's considered innovation but the ease and speed of getting useful, accurate information on building technique from other builders is a major plus to rod building today!!!

Posted by: Reed W Atkinson (---.cust.exede.net)
Date: April 20, 2020 09:32AM

Hands down, Microwave guides. The original are amazing and AT continues to come out with new applications for the system. I use these almost exclusively on my spinning and casting rod builds, and the 18/8 is becoming a major feature on my fly rods. Check them out if you haven't already.

Posted by: Jason Franqui (---.pbso.org)
Date: April 20, 2020 10:53AM

I would have to say the Microwave guides. The first time i used them i knew they were a game changer. The ease of setting them up and the durability are some of the reason I use them on 99% of my builds.

Posted by: Jonathan Hotham (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2020 10:57AM

I haven't been in rod building for many years like alot of you. However I would say the readily available carbon fiber grips, and grip making supplies and of course Microwaves.i started building rods and built every variety of spinning guide layout I was able to research. I built a couple rods with the same blank and different guides. From the first cast I was impressed with microwaves. Now the majority of my rods wear microwaves.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: April 20, 2020 03:36PM

The American Tackle Microwave stripper guides (18/8 & 12/6) have improved my fly casting way more than I deserve!! I put an 18/8 on a 5-wt 9' 3" fast action fly-rod and was overcasting my targets by several feet!! And I am not a good fly-caster! Made up another similar rod for a Fly Fishing guide and he loves it as well.

Posted by: Kladis Tasos (---.home.otenet.gr)
Date: April 20, 2020 09:25PM

For sure Microwaves. I am using the new 30's and 50's on my surf builds and now I have started using the 18/8's on my slow pitch vertical rods.

If you can't find it ... build it!

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: April 21, 2020 12:49AM

Carbon foam grip and Microguide/KR concept (in relation with braid line).

Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 21, 2020 07:32AM

Microwave guides keep getting better with different options, plus the new CCT carbon seats, and carbon grips from American Tackle are awesome.

Posted by: Robert Church (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 21, 2020 11:31AM

Microwave guides, carbon grips, carbon reel seats, Vortex air guides, Bushido 3k blanks, Nanophene slow load blanks, and let's not forget the 40+ Burl cork options that continue to improve every year.

Date: April 21, 2020 12:18PM

The shortage of even lousy cork has made an alternative pretty much a necessity. Everyone has his/her own opinion on which is more attractive, durable, and efficient, cork or carbon? - but cork oaks grow very slowly and wine drinkers pop corks very quickly. As for changes in guides, is it the difference in size, shape, or materials which make the new models so superior?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 21, 2020 01:25PM

Phil,
Actually in many cases, some of the new models are not so superior. Different - yes. Superior - maybe not.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 21, 2020 04:11PM

Good cork is as available as it ever was. But now, just as then, you have to expect to pay a premium price for it.

Foam Core, Carbon Skinned grips offer greater advantages on fly rods than any other rod type. All the caster's input moves through the grip. Until you try one of these on a fly rod, you have no idea how much energy is being wasted moving through spongy, soft cork. Most folks aren't even aware of how spongy and soft cork actually is, until they have a rigid grip on their fly rod. Then the trick is to ease up - relax and let the better energy input allow you to do more with less effort.

Date: April 21, 2020 05:33PM

Tom: Your "do more with less effort" statement is well made. At least half the fly-casters I see could do considerably more with a lot less effort. I saw Joan Wulff, a petit woman, cast over 100' and make it look easy. If/when we get past this pandemic I plan to test cast a fly rod with a foam/carbon grip, although I grasp a fly rod rather lightly and let the hauling hand do the heavy work.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 21, 2020 08:01PM

I'm with Tom on the fly rod application of foam core carbon fiber grips. Many of my customers come back and rave about how they have improved their casting.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 24, 2020 11:37AM

another option is to coat the foam core with granulated cork and sand down to a smoother texture..you can use the contained flocking method except you use granulated cork in the jar instead of flocking fiber..it,s very firm like the carbon grips but is corky looking and way more durable than regular cork handles and maybe even the carbon handles..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster