I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie/ very amateur builder, blank and suggetions
Posted by: David Mack (---)
Date: April 19, 2020 11:16AM

Been a stalker here for a few years now. I guess im diving im. I am looking for a couple of fiberglasses, " I THINK" blanks. Casting rods 5 8 to 6 0. for spinnerbait and buzz bait fishing down in Lower Alabama rivers. I got the big stuff covered. My question is A: should I do glass B: What blanks would you consider . C: What split grips, not cork, and guides would you consider. This will be my first although my good buddy and son have built hundreds but mostly Big Game. If I get in a jam they will help. I have done woodwork and welding for 40 years. I am a little to proud to ask them for much help. I sorta want to do it my way. Thanks In advance guys and galls David

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie/ very amateur builder, blank and suggetions
Posted by: Pat Haley (---.newsourcebroadband.com)
Date: April 19, 2020 11:36AM

David, welcome to the forum and soon to be rod building brother. I am not an expert at rod building only have built 14 for myself and family. I am sure other more experienced rod builders will weigh in on your question. My suggestion would be contact some of the sponsors (to the left) and see what they could offer. The Rod Room located in Orange Beach, AL is a sponsor and might be close to you. I have bought from them and they are nice people to deal with and willing to help in any way they can.

Posted by: David Mack (---)
Date: April 19, 2020 12:28PM

Thank you Pat for the welcome, my son is a pharmacist over there and actually buys some blanks from those guys. like me, he is a large supporter of locally owned businesses. Sincerely David

Posted by: Steve Cox (---)
Date: April 19, 2020 09:16PM

David, take some old rods and completely strip them! (Stripping blanks is a good skill to have anyway) Then build on them experimenting at will. Try things, make mistakes, learn things, improve your technique. They are 'no deposit-no return' blanks. When comfortable, then go order that really 'quality blank' and have at it!!!

Posted by: Tony Boschi (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 20, 2020 08:00AM

David,

Welcome to the forum.

Throwing in my 2 cents, and echoing Steve Cox, when I first got started, I stripped 2 blanks, one was one of my inshore rods, the other was a beach rod.

When you strip a blanks, you certainly learn a lot about how its built. Not everyone wraps a rod the same and you'll learn a lot just from tearing one down. I still have my first 2 "stripped" blanks and have to admit, when I did those first 2 rods, i thought I did an outstanding job .... then as time goes by and the more rods I wrapped, I learned tricks, tips and all SORTS of things that could have made the job a whole heck of a lot easier!

I also want to add, if you're going to ever use a cork grip, get one from a reputable dealer. When I first started, I found cork grips on sites like Mudhole, and then I found what I THOUGHT was the exact same cork grip on E B A Y and I can most certainly assure you that they are NOT the same! The quality from the E B A Y grips are awful in comparison.

As far as split grips go, here is the link to the Mudhole grips below and they are awesome in every way. I don't work for Mudhole or have any association with them.

[www.mudhole.com]

The link below is for every split grip they sell on Mudhole.

[www.mudhole.com]

If you're looking for a real decent graphite blank, low cost but very nice, these blanks are sweet and I use them all the time. "IS701M" and "IS701MH" are the ones I use 99.9% of the time....

[www.mudhole.com]

And if you're still considering glass .....

[www.mudhole.com]

Tony Boschi
Banana River Rods
Merritt Island, Florida
321~525~1063

* Rapid Prototyping Services
* Custom Beach Rods
* Custom Inshore Rods

[bananariverrods.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2020 08:04AM by Tony Boschi.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: April 20, 2020 07:57PM

Personally I wouldn't use fiberglass blanks for either of those rods. I'd also use blanks with different actions. For the spinnerbait I'd be looking for a fast action blank rated 1/4 - 3/4 oz lures. Length is a matter of personal choice. I myself have 2 rods for spinnerbaits. One is an old 5'6" Shimano Speedmaster Fighting Rod with a pistol grip. I use that for short casts, usually 30' or less, and for when I need accuracy. My other rod is a 6'6" two handed casting rod, again another old Shimano Speedmaster Fighting Rod. I use it for longer casts in open water, where pin point accuracy isn't as key.

For the buzzbait I'd be looking at a blank with the same lure weight ratings as the spinnerbait rod, but I'd be looking for a moderate fast action. Lengths would follow suit with what I use for spinnerbaits. I don't throw buzzbaits a whole bunch, but when I do I use a 6' long rod that I built for throwing squarebills into wood cover. I built it on a 6'6" long medium heavy power crankbait blank that I trimmed down to 6'. I works really well.

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.247.206.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: April 23, 2020 04:13PM

I also echo the stripping of an existing rod and starting there. Don't get me wrong, starting with a blank is great BUT stripping an existing rod you have will show you how the retail shops put rods together. Think of it as breaking down an engine and putting it back together.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster