I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hypalon grip issue, need help
Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: April 18, 2020 02:17PM

Alright, so apparently i screwed up.. When i epoxied the 8" hylalon foregrip on, the epoxy, instead of smearing, got squeegee'd off.. So now the reel seat side is attached about 3" up, and the tip side is attached about 1" back leaving roughly 4" unglued. There is a hostel that is attached as well..

My wife grabbed me a 3cc syringe with a couple 22g, 20g, and 18g needle tips...

Is this a viable resolution? Pierce it with the smallest needle i can as to not make. Visable hole, and inject something to adhere to the blank..

Use what? I figure super glue might cloud the hypalon, or melt it.. Propaste is obvioisly too thick, i have gs-hypo cement,1cc in both tubes of proglue, thread epoxy, loctight go 2 glue, Permagloss, E-6000, wood glue, woodweld contact cement, 3 or 4 CA glues... I think thats it.. Oh, lol and tip top cement.

Lynn just suggested getting the hostel off, using a stick to get up under, if it rips along the ID, so what its the ID.. And ill be puting glue in there anyway.. Any other suggestions? Im going to scan the library as soon as i post this

--- just read the faqs... Wish i read that before installing these---
Also for the record, there is a water break free surface under the grips

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2020 02:25PM by Anthony Unger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hypalon grip issue, need help
Date: April 18, 2020 03:00PM

Ok, just an update.. Looks like my panic is starting to fade away.. I have the hostel off, hypalon is no longer attached at the top, only by the 3" at the reel seat.. Im going to inject an adhesive either by needle, (i expanded a piece double the ID, pierced it with a 18g, and it shows no signs of being poked.. I figure ill use an old top section, go alomg the blank, lift a little to make airspace, inject where i cant reach. Then, once far enough out, just come in from the blank side and it should get the whole thing pretty good

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 18, 2020 04:57PM

Use Devcon 2 ton epoxy. Thin enough to inject and is very strong. Most hardware stores sell it, at least my ACE hardware has it. Hope you can get out to buy some. It’s a very good epoxy for rod building.
Norm

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---)
Date: April 18, 2020 05:00PM

Well, i just went to lowes.. Thats not going to happen.. Theres a line.. To get in.. They only allow 70 people at a time in the store.. Not sure how 70 is diffrent then say 700.. But theres about 60 people outside and the store closes in 2 hours.. Ridiculous.. Completly Ridiculous..

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 18, 2020 07:08PM

Maybe since you were able to get the grip loose down that far, you might be able to loosen the whole thing without wrecking it. If so, problem solved. I have rod bond, Quick and regular.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 18, 2020 07:08PM

It is NOT ridiculous! Safe distancing would not allow 700 people in the store. They are doing what is responsible !! Good for them.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---)
Date: April 18, 2020 07:17PM

Lynn, i tried already its on there good..

Phil, i get what they ae doing, and i agree its a good idea, however.. I went to 5 stores, every one had a line.. 7/8 of the people standing there didnt have masks, and not 1 person, mask or not... Was more then 2' apart.. Honestly, you would be better off letting everyone in! Its ridiculous

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 18, 2020 08:49PM

Anthony,
When I go to glue a grip in place, I first do a heavy coating on the inside of the grip. Then, I also do a heavy application of glue on the rod blank. Slip the grip in place and wipe off the excess and good to go.

Take care

Date: April 18, 2020 09:33PM

Roger, i do that for hidden hoods, reel seats, redl seat arbors, etc.. But coating the inside of a grip then sliding it down the blank has to make a mess! Although it does make sense to do that..

Ive never had an issue like this before.. But ive never done hypalon before either. I figured i was good to go, didnt have to do any more research.. Everyone and everything i read says its just like EVA just a little harder..

Its currently sitting full of epoxy.. I used permatex 30 min. Epoxy high strength.. Put probably half the tube in, squished it around wiped the excess away.. But i couldnt find anything else.. Unless i wanted to go the foaming route.. And i know that wouldnt have gone good.. Lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2020 09:40PM by Anthony Unger.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 18, 2020 10:13PM

Anthony,
Sure it makes a big mess. So what. DNA quickly removes any excess epoxy.
I never worry about the mess. However, I worry big time if the grip is not secured to the blank.

Take care

Date: April 18, 2020 10:17PM

Holy of crap... Either you wrote that before, or im having major deja vu..

I guess your right, the mess on the rod is a heck of alot better then the mess you could have with the customer when his handle fails..

Date: April 19, 2020 09:20AM

Holy of crap... Either you wrote that before, or im having major deja vu..

I guess your right, the mess on the rod is a heck of alot better then the mess you could have with the customer when his handle fails..

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 19, 2020 03:49PM

Chamfer the grip, put the epoxy where it's needed, use rubber cement as a lubricant. I know this doesn't answer the original question, but we seemed to have deviated from that. Some will say you don't need to use rubber cement, but it seems to work quite nicely and just peels off when your done. And your not wasting a lot of epoxy. Nothing like mixing a whole bunch then wiping it off and throwing it away, unless your in the adhesive business.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.232.186.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: April 19, 2020 04:44PM

I think its a good thing your adding that piece of info, the point of the site in my opinion isnt to just answer questions. Its to help each other and anyone else that comes across the threads.. So thanks lynn

Date: April 19, 2020 08:55PM

Thanks guys, just checked the grip..

Crisis overted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2020 08:55PM by Anthony Unger.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster