I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need Advice On A Wahoo Rod
Posted by: Kevin Burgess (---)
Date: April 17, 2020 11:37PM

Hello everyone:

I am a newer rod builder in the West Palm Beach, FL area. The first 15 rods have turned out good but did learn from my mistakes along the way (and fixed them). I am about to build my first stand up wahoo rod and I think I need to cut off some of the blank but not sure how much.

I bought a Rainshadow FSU56H blank (30-50 lb) which is 5' 6" and when I insert it into my new Aftco Unibutt #2 short which is 19 inches, the full length is 6' 10". I feel like I need to cut off 10" from the base because it looks too long. It will be a wahoo planer trolling rod and a manual deep drop rod. It will be paired with an Avet 50 if that matters.

Any suggestions of how much I should cut off?

Thanks,

Kevin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Advice On A Wahoo Rod
Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---)
Date: April 18, 2020 02:44AM

I would suggest doing a mock build at full length and simulating fighting a 'hoo with the help of a friend. Just because it looks too long, doesn't equate to being wrong. If it is too long, go with a shorter blank.

FYI, Long range anglers fishing off Baja routinely use 6 1/2 to 8 ft rods to cast heavy metal jigs for wahoo. An Avet 50 represents a significant cost, so I get the double duty as a deep drop reel as well. The reel seems a bit overkill, but so be it. You may just want a shorter blank to start off with. Or uses bent butt handle. That may prove to be a better option. Especially if the rod is, as you say, going to be a stand-up style rod.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 18, 2020 10:28AM

Hello Kevin.

That Avet is a 80-130# class reel, you said you had a FSU56H 30-50# class rod.
6'10" on a 30-50# rod is a little long but not to bad, but on a 80-130#, that's almost 60# drag a 6'10" lever might pull you overboard, (how big are you?)

I think the 50 is overkill, but if you insist on using it I would get a shorter rod or cut that one(or maybe don't use the Aftco).

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 18, 2020 04:23PM

What are the desired qualities of a "Wahoo Rod"? How do they differ from, say, a "Dorado Rod"? Length? Flexibility? Diameter?

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 18, 2020 06:30PM

Don't cut it down. Wahoo can swim 60 mph and the more bend along with leverage you can get in the rod the better chance of landing it. If you were doing a high speed troll (15 to 20 knts) you would want a 7' or 8' rod using 60# to 80# line (of which your reel is capable of).

Posted by: Robert Sunjara (107.72.178.---)
Date: April 07, 2023 08:49AM

Did you ever follow through with this build? Curious how you like this blank for that job? Also, if so, how big of a planer can you run on that blank? I recently moved to South Florida and there is not a whole lot of rod building info available out there for the specific SE Florida fisheries that I have found yet.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 07, 2023 07:30PM

This is a lot heavier stuff than I used for Wahoo in North Miami going out of Haulover Cut in the 80's, 30 and 40 lb mono worked fine depending on the rod/reel. My Dorado rods were 15 lb. class rods and all I needed. My throwback rod when they missed was a 6 1/2 ft. IM700 Med Hvy casting bass blank made spinning.

Posted by: Robert Sunjara (107.72.178.---)
Date: April 09, 2023 05:00PM

I agree. We typically use 40-60lb leader, but I was looking for feedback on the original post about a rod that trolls the planers well. There are few blanks I’m considering but since I moved from CA I just don’t have a good feel for what worsts best out here. My gut says build an 84xh out for trolling planers and I’m sure they will get it done, but just curious how the locals do it.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: April 10, 2023 12:05PM

Haven’t fished wahoo in a few years. My old rod was a Connely and it was 7’. Tip was fairly sensitive and I believe it was an 80lb rod for planers. Ended up selling it so I can’t get the specs from the label.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (107.119.41.---)
Date: April 10, 2023 03:36PM

10” is too much to cut off on that length rod, IMO. I wouldn’t cut off any more than 6 if it were me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster