I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Floating Single Thread Diamond Wrap
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 17, 2020 01:44PM

While practicing social distancing and without any pending rod orders, I have been toying with different ideas for thread wraps to keep myself occupied, amused, out of trouble and hopefully escape boredom. While many have been lackluster, or just too involved, I came up with a rather appealing wrap that may lend itself particularly well to those of you who like and produce butt cross warps such as Billy V and others. While I typically do not do cross wraps, the wrap could equally be used as a border for inscriptions and decals and who knows what else. Allow me to share with those who may be interested.
Please find the photo of my new wrap in the photo section under Thread Art, “Marks Floating Single Thread Diamond Wrap”. Admittedly, while new to me, it could have possibly been done before and you veterans may recognize such to be the case. None the less, I find the floating diamonds to be intriguing and different, possibly a great complementarily accent to the binding wraps of a common or involved butt cross wrap in particular, but other applications as well.
I have not included instructions simply due to past experience on this site. Many of you will most likely be able to figure it out on your own anyway from the photo. I have gone at great lengths to offer this site a number of very beneficial procedures, my CARL Ferrules in particular, but have, at times, been left feeling as though I was walking into Sunday church services naked. If enough of you find it to be appealing and are interested in this “new” wrap, I will graciously and humbly afford instructions.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Floating Single Thread Diamond Wrap
Posted by: Tony Boschi (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2020 04:38PM

Pretty Neato!

Boredom is the mother of invention at times!

Tony Boschi
Banana River Rods
Merritt Island, Florida
321~525~1063

* Rapid Prototyping Services
* Custom Beach Rods
* Custom Inshore Rods

[bananariverrods.com]

Date: April 17, 2020 06:06PM

Thanks, Tony. Now I just need a rod build to apply it to. Hopefully others can find an application as well.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.68.---)
Date: April 17, 2020 08:30PM

Maybe it's just my inability to adjust to the computer world, but is there a way to actually see a picture of what you are doing. All I can get is a thumbnail pic.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 17, 2020 09:22PM

There is a segment under the photo that says "view larger image." Click on that.

Date: April 17, 2020 09:31PM

Grant,
Thanks for the interest. Don’t feel rained-on; we were not allowed to take hand-held computers into math class in the 60s-70s but now a student is probably not allowed into class WITHOUT one! I am able to view my posted photos in the “Photo” section of this site under “Thread Art” and then “Mark’s Floating Single Thread Diamond Wrap”. Sorry I cannot assist further but if you are still experiencing difficulties, perhaps Tom will intervene.

Mark Talmo

Date: April 17, 2020 09:35PM

Thanks, Tom.

Mark Talmo

Date: April 17, 2020 11:59PM

Sorry, nothing about a larger image on mine. Just the thumbnail pic.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---)
Date: April 18, 2020 02:02AM

Same here Grant. Haven't been able to for a long time on my phone. My PC does have that feature.

Cool idea Mark. Just imagine the floating effect if done over several thick coats of epoxy. I have come up with some very nice 3D effects with marbling doing that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2020 02:17AM by Chuck McIntyre.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 18, 2020 06:08AM

I guess it would make way too much sense to put a link? [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 18, 2020 08:08AM

Those that can't see the "larger photo" link should update their browser. The software on this end is the same for all.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2020 09:31AM

Very cool idea. I think it looks great.

Date: April 18, 2020 12:15PM

Thank you Billy.

Date: April 18, 2020 01:06PM

Thank you for the compliments. Also thank you to Billy for adding a link to the pics in the photo section. I am unfamiliar with how to create a link = any help would be appreciated.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 18, 2020 02:52PM

Mark,

I love your Clint Eastwood weave. It is outstanding. One of the best that I have ever seen! Excellent job!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 18, 2020 11:39PM

To create a link to a site, click on the site’s web address and copy it. Then go to your message and paste it where you want it. Easy even for us old guys. Your wrap looks nice.
Norm

Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.179.---)
Date: April 19, 2020 08:33AM

Mark, I like the design. Thanks for sharing. The method of having single strands laying on top of the underlying threads looks similar in theory to the Off Angle Inlays that Tom Kirkland demonstrated RodMaker magazine Volume 11 Issue 6, which coincidentally I just received and read yesterday. In the article Mr. Kirkland was discussing "Simple Elegance" easy thread wrap techniques. Assuming I am correct in how you wrapped yours, anyone reading the referenced article could easily figure out how to do yours.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster