I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Anyone found a good rat l trap blank?
Posted by: Brian Hampton (---)
Date: April 17, 2020 11:55AM

Hey everyone
New to the site and the concept of rod building, but jumping in head first.

First, even though I haven't build a rod yet, I'm in awe of the wealth of knowledge on this site. Thank you all for putting something like this together.

So I've been bass fishing as long as I can remember, did a bunch of tournament fishing in college a couple years before college bass teams were a thing. Haven't tourney fishing in a while, but still love to get out and fish when I can. With a 1 and 2 year old at the house, pickings are slim.

During this quarantine, "working from home" I've had a bunch or time to sit and think about how much I want to go fishing and pretty much shop for rods, reels, and lures. I was looking at the new kistler z bones, saw they were made from nfc x-ray blanks, and out of curiosity looked up the price of the blank. On sale for $75. Sounds a lot better that paying $500 for a rod, so let's figure out how to build them. I've been carving and painting my own duck decoys for 10+ years - at least before kids - so I know how rewarding having success with hand made equipment can be.

So I order up a few x-ray blanks, but would like to start with a rod that is not so centered on sensitivity. So a rattletrap rod would seem to fit the bill a little better for a first build.

Has anyone built a rattletrap rod that they just love? I fish Sam Rayburn a lot, and while there's only 1% or the hydrilla there used to be, I'd like to hope one day it will come back. So for me, I'd be throwing a 1/2 oz trap in grass. I've always just used an old top water rod because it was available. Would like to find a rod with a more moderate to mod fast action but still enough backbone to rip a trap out of grass. Do those rods exist? Thanks in advance for the help. I'm sure this will be the first of hundreds of questions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone found a good rat l trap blank?
Posted by: James Taylor (172.92.71.---)
Date: April 17, 2020 12:36PM

Revelation CB REVCB70MH - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

Or our Eglass GCB710MH-GB or GCB70MH-GB - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

Could also go a bit outside the "box" and use an Immortal Popping blank IMMP70MH-TC (inshore popping blanks actually spec out very similar to cranking blanks) - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2020 02:40PM

Take a look at the NFC Delta Hybrid CB blanks, I know that Mark Daniels Jr loves (loved since he is now with Favorite) the Graphite/Glass combination. I am actually going to be using the Delta 705CB Hybrid (Medium Heavy) cut down to 6'10. Gonna serve dual purpose between spinnerbait and lipless. The Hybrid blank will give you the glass tip with the backbone and power of the graphite down in the blank. This is a Moderate Fast blank as well. I personally do not like a super stiff rod on a lipless, not with trebles.

IF this is your fist build go slow, usually a big learning curve the first few builds.

I've got a 4 yr old, just made his first custom rod last year and he loves it. Twins were born in Sept. so my fishing days are numbered this year. Be building more than casting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2020 02:42PM by Jay Burns.

Posted by: Alex Funke (---)
Date: April 17, 2020 03:07PM

The Bushido MB73/10-20 is the one you want. This is my go to blank for fishing a trap in hydrilla on Toho. It's got enough tip to sling a trap a mile and enough "give" not to rip it out of their mouth with 15-20 pound fluorocarbon. It loads up just the way it should.

If you are looking for something under MOD-Fast, LS7/10-20 would be my other choice.

Alex Funke

American Tackle Company International, Inc
2133 Component Loop, Suite 1031
Oviedo, Florida 32765
Phone: 800-516-1750 extension: 1214 | Fax: 407-706-0367

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---)
Date: April 17, 2020 03:24PM

The Revelation CB REVCB70MH mentioned above by Mr. Taylor is a very good trap rod using a 1/2 oz. It will throw down to 1/4 to 3/4 pz with just a little adjustment in line size and a little practice. It's a very versatile blank. Durable yet sensitive. More sensitive than the blank gets credit.

Posted by: Pat Haley (---.newsourcebroadband.com)
Date: April 17, 2020 03:48PM

Brian welcome to the forum. You are correct there is a wealth of knowledge here. I wish I knew only half of what most of the members on this forum know. I built some rods for the kids and grandkids last Christmas. They were from Mud Hole. SKU – SC84 MH. 7 foot, 0 inches Med Hvy Fast, 8 -17 lb line, 3/8 – ¾ oz. I used it for traps and CB’s. I have only built 14 rods. I started out with a 3/8 inch dowel and some home made V supports made out of 1 inch by 4 inch pine boards. Moved up to a kit by Mud Hole. The first rod was a Mud Hole blank. The total rod with all the trimmings cost around 60 dollars. There is a lot of practice you can do on the homemade stuff before going to rods. I just completed 4 NFC X-Ray builds. I put the NFC Soft Touch grips on the 4 rods. I like the way they feel and they are carbon fiber grips. NFC had them 40 percent off. Have not got them on the water yet, maybe tomorrow. I to live in Texas (North Texas by Possum Kingdom lake) also. If you (are anyone else on the forum) ever get up this way and want to fish let me know. Stay safe and well.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: April 17, 2020 04:58PM

Brian, as you've already contemplated by your comments ... having a rod that will rip a trap out of grass, yet be soft enough in the upper 1/3 of the blank to really let them eat it well, makes blank selection a bit tricky. The two requirements just don't go hand in hand all that well. Personally, I know I wouldn't go with any thing slower than a moderate fast action blank. And I'd be looking at something with some power.

I don't fish a trap often, so I don't have a specific blank that I would suggest. But I know if I were looking for a blank to build the type of rod I think you're looking for, I'd look at flipping blanks, and even light saltwater blanks. I was looking through some blanks on Mud Hole's web site and based solely on the listed specs, I would be looking at something like the FP885. It's listed under their freshwater rods and then under flipping and pitching. They also have a couple in their light saltwater blank section that might be worth looking at as well.

I have no experience with any of the blanks in those two series of MHX rods. They just have the kind of specs I'd be looking for if I were building the rod you're looking to build. If you take away the hydrilla, then I'd be making the suggestions of a crankbait blank that others are making. That ripping a bait from hydrilla changes the game a bit though.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 17, 2020 06:54PM

Brian, i can,t say enough about Rainshadow E-glass for crankin'..check out Utmost to the left..

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 17, 2020 09:33PM

Brian
I too would follow James advise
Personally picking his last suggestion

" Could also go a bit outside the "box" and use an Immortal Popping blank IMMP70MH-TC (inshore popping blanks actually spec out very similar to cranking blanks) -
www.rainshadowrodblanks.com "

You'll find that blank has the ability to do every thing you want, while being much more sensitive then a fiber glass or high-bred blank.
You will be able to tell a lot easier what your trap is doing - When your hitting grass-when you've ripped out of it - when your getting bit, and land better averages of what you've hooked.

Been using their popping blanks for about 13 years and they have a higher hook up to land ratio then any of my other rods. they are great for treble hook baits.

Posted by: Brian Hampton (---)
Date: April 17, 2020 10:49PM

Wow thank you all for the ideas. Looks like there are a bunch of possibilities.

I like the idea of practicing on a dowel before I move on to the real thing. I'm going to start looking at some of the sponsor's pages and begin to piece together some equipment. I'm ready to start! I hope the learning curve doesn't kick me too hard.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 18, 2020 08:11AM

Brian, most people who get into crafting of any kind enjoy the challenges they offer..i,m sure your one of them..

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (---)
Date: April 18, 2020 11:38AM

Brian,

Thanks for your order - (and going with your gut!)

The NEO is a good choice - it’s the hybrid that you are looking for with a slim butt.

Thanks for choosing USA made blanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster