I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

KW Guide Train for 8’ Surf Rod
Posted by: Marty Martin (---)
Date: April 16, 2020 08:49PM

Will be spinning with 4500 Penn Spinfisher. I normally use the KL-H guides but I want a little more durability. Line will be 20-30lb braid. What train would you use for the KW guides?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KW Guide Train for 8’ Surf Rod
Posted by: Chris Morilla (---)
Date: April 17, 2020 06:16PM

I am a big fan of starting with a kw stripper then dropping down to kls and kt runners. For instance kw 30-kL 20-kL12- kt runners of your choice. Another option I like is to use double foot reduction guides to single foot runners. It’s a combination of durability and weight savings.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 18, 2020 01:03PM

How about KW30, KW25, KW20, KW12, KW 10 or 8 runners. Another option is KW30, KL20, KL12, KT10 or KT8 or KT6 runners.
Norm

Posted by: Brett DeNicola (---.sub-174-254-67.myvzw.com)
Date: April 18, 2020 02:24PM

Whats the power and lure rating of rod? Unless you foresee alot of falls on rocks and abusing the rod i would go with a single foot of kr build

Posted by: charles nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: April 20, 2020 04:44PM

If you're using a tiny spooled 4500 Spinfisher with braid as light as 20-30 pound you want to go MUCH smaller on the guide sizes especially on an 8 foot rod. I build all my surf rods these days with a stripper no larger than a size 20-25 ring . Anything larger causes a dramatic loss in efficiency and add's excess weight unless you're using mono or flouro as your main line . For the best performing spinning setups utilizing braid, layouts will have transition trains along the lines of a 25 or 20 size stripper dropping all the way down to a 12 or 10 then a size 6 or 5 as a choke and equally sized runners. Fuji's KR single foot concept guide types are far and away the best choice for a 4500 spinfisher using 30 pound braid .

I personally would avoid guides that are close in sizing for a reduction train on any size rod but especially for an 8 foot inshore rod with a very small spool diameter . Guide trains like 50, 40,30-20-16-12-8 are awful choices when the line choice is braid because the extreme suppleness and lack of memory of braid doesn't need anywhere close to that amount of open space inside the ring . It equates to nothing but lost energy & a guide frame that's heavier than necessary. With a more traditional layout like 40,30,20,12,8,8,8,8,8 very little changes to the line path from the size 40 stripper down to the 12 ring . With mono this is OK but with braid it's terrible. That setup would be fine if you were planning to use stiffer mono in the 20 pound range but with braids you lose a tremendous amount of energy with it and add a ton of extra weight . The largest stripper i will use these days is a size 25 ring and if a size 20 ring has the appropriate height i will choose that every time over the 25 size ring because it provides better performance than a 25 ring does although slight, ( the smaller the stripper size you go the more the line seems to accelerate) and this is because the ring diameter does not allow the line to move much inside the ring which conserves all that energy and directs it forward. Many call this phenomenon The "cannon effect" because it really feels like the line is being shot out of a cannon. You will not experience this at all if your stripper choice and the rest of your reduction train is using guides that are larger than needed but the setup will still work beautifully, it just won't be nearly as efficient as it could have been . IMO 95% of builds have guide trains that are much larger than necessary especially running guides and that's no disrespect just an observation , i also think the overwhelming majority of guide wraps are much much longer than necessary but many prefer that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster