I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

action for trolling rod
Posted by: David Janes (---)
Date: April 16, 2020 04:03PM

I am trying to decide on what action would be best for a saltwater trolling rod. What are the benefits of a fast action compared to a medium action rod for trolling? And vice versa. The rod will be 7' in the 15-30 lb range. I plan on useing 20# mono. They will be pulling small plugs, and small rigged ballyhoo, or small live bait. Also some kite fishing.

Thanks for your thoughts and input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: action for trolling rod
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 16, 2020 04:16PM

Trolling and fast actions rods don't belong together.
Rather slow or moderate rods work much much better.

When trolling the pull of the lure through the water automatically sets the hook on the fish. So, you want the softer front section of the rod to be able to give to allow the fish to move around a bit without throwing the hook.

Save the fact action blanks for other applications.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 16, 2020 04:32PM

It really comes down to how you plan to fight the fish. Is this going to be stand-up type fishing or chair fishing?

A more moderate action rod tends to offset the leverage advantage of the fish to some degree - the upper section bends making the lever effectively shorter. A fast action rod, assuming at least equal power, will shut off quicker and allow more line recovery per rod pump, but the fish will have more leverage over you.

Beyond that, do you need a softer tip in order to watch the action of your plugs? If so, then a fast action rod combined with a softer tip may be your ticket.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 17, 2020 10:03AM

Hello All.

I agree with Tom on this one, you need to know the usage of the rod.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 17, 2020 11:10AM

The type of line you use could influence your rod choice also. Monofilament has enough stretch to decrease the need for a soft tip, whereas braid could work better with a softer tip.

Date: April 17, 2020 02:54PM

So they will be standup rods, with 20# mono. They will all be run through outrigger clips and flat line clips. So the actual pulling of the baits will be more from the clips then the rod tips. So would that change some of the dynamics at the ohitial strike? And the reason for 7' rods is that I've had difficulty finding shorter blanks that are medium to medium light in power.

Date: April 17, 2020 03:38PM

David,
If you want a shorter rod, you can always chop off the butt of a rod to make it shorter.

Take care

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 17, 2020 04:16PM

Effective lever length and how it relates to rod action can be found in the RodMaker speciality article on stand-up rods.

If you're planning on fighting large and/or powerful fish, a 7 foot stand-up rod may tax you to the limit. If you must stick with that length, you might opt for a moderate action which will typically allow the rod to bend more deeply, shortening the effective lever and denying the fish some of the advantage it has on such a long rod.

Date: April 17, 2020 04:38PM

Hello David.

Seeker HERCULES GTS70L (MudHole carries them).

I use them trolling for small to medium king mackerel and mahi-mahi, I have caught up to 20# kings on it, and also caught an 18# yellow tuna on it (had to do a little chasing though).

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: April 17, 2020 08:29PM

Thanks for all the information. I’m going to do some more research, play around with a blank or two, and come back with more questions. I even have some questions for my self now.

Date: April 18, 2020 12:42AM

David,
A trolling rod is an ideal time to do a spiral wrap with the casting reel set up that is commonly used with these rods.

Date: April 18, 2020 10:04AM

Hello Roger.

Right you are Roger, the rod I mentioned is a spiral wrap.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 18, 2020 04:37PM

Ideal specs for rod blanks for battling 20# Dorados are quite different from ideal specs for blanks for fighting 40# Dorados. Locals, not World-Wide-Web consultants will be your best source of information.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster