I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC X-Ray Label
Posted by: Jeff Saxby (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 16, 2020 02:54PM

I am getting ready to build a couple of NFC X-Ray blanks. Just wondering if the texture of the blank causes any issues with the label? Can the label be put directly on the blank or is some prep needed?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC X-Ray Label
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 16, 2020 02:56PM

you will need to cover the ridges to make a smooth surface.

Posted by: Joseph Bovee (---)
Date: April 16, 2020 08:54PM

You can apply a coat of epoxy on the blank alone first then put decal on top of that and apply 2nd coat of epoxy over decal. This way has turned out best for me.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: April 16, 2020 09:12PM

What is your impression of the blanks? Certainly attractively priced. What type of rod you making? Please keep us informed of your final thoughts of X-Ray.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: April 16, 2020 09:24PM

David, they are some of the best you can put in your hand. Period!!

Posted by: Pat Haley (---.newsourcebroadband.com)
Date: April 17, 2020 07:53AM

Jeff, just completed building 4 X-ray rods. One thing I found out about the decals is the covering on the letter side (opposite side that goes on the rod) is it does not come off (at least for me) with the masking tape trick. On the second rod I thought the decal was coming off, then I realized it was the plastic tape covering the decal coming up out of the epoxy. I actually believe the first rod built the plastic cover did not come off and is still on the decal covered with epoxy. I did not see the plastic until building the second rod. What I did of the last two was put it on wait about 5 minutes and it started to raise. Then it can be pulled off leaving the decal in place.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: April 18, 2020 10:29AM

I'd like to piggy back on this thread if I could. I built a couple of rods on X ray blanks last year, but I didn't receive any decals with them. I recently contacted NFC about getting two decals for those blanks, and I received them just this past week. They actually sent me the wrong ones the first time, which turns out to be a blessing as I have yet to put a decal on any of the rods I've built. So the extra decals will give me something to practice with.

Pat, I have yet to mess with the decals just yet. I sanded both of my X ray blanks so that they were smooth, so I had no need to put a coat of finish down first, but I did so because of what I read in a search I did about putting on decals. I just finished putting a coat on a practice rod I have, and will be trying putting my first decal on when the finish is dry enough. I think I get what you're saying about the plastic not coming off. I'm curious if you had any better results with any subsequent NFC decals you've put on?

Or anyone reading this thread that has experience with the NFC X ray decals, if they can share how they handled getting that stiff plastic to come off after putting the decal on, and before putting on the finish top coat?

I will definitely be thankful for any tips you or others can offer.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 18, 2020 10:48AM

The plastic on top of the decal is there so you can burnish and smooth the label onto the blank without damaging it. Once the decal is smoothed down, just peel that protective plastic piece off, and you are ready to apply finish.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: April 18, 2020 09:41PM

Norman, roger that. I just applied my practice decal. The plastic peeled off rather easily after I burnished the decal.

I also have to say to Phil Erickson if he is reading this thread, that I used his method of applying decals that I read when I did a search on the subject. It turned out perfect. Having the bed of finish just to the point of not fingerprinting allows the edge of the decal to blend in perfectly. You can't even see it.

First time decal came out looking like I had done hundreds of them.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This place has awesome members !!! Thank god for Rodbuilding.org. Without it I'd still be fishing factory rods,

I love this place !!!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 21, 2020 10:27PM

David, thank you! It is a proven method.

Posted by: Don Mang (---)
Date: April 24, 2020 11:59AM

I have a rubber roller with a handle. I just tack the label centered, than use the roller to smooth it out and around the blank. This get all the air out, and after peeling the covering off, I can use a lot of pressure rolling over the blank and label. Now I do have a question, did I see somewhere to use thread finish on the label before epoxy?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster