I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Static Testing Questions?
Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: April 16, 2020 11:49AM

Preposterous: adjective, Completely contrary to nature, reason, or common sense; absurd; senseless; utterly foolish:

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 16, 2020 12:53PM

QED: Latin abbreviation: "That which has been demonstrated".

Date: April 16, 2020 02:28PM

Hearsay: noun, unverified, unofficial information gained or acquired from another and not part of one's direct knowledge:

Marketing: noun, : the process or technique of promoting, selling, and distributing a product, or service

Tarradiddle: noun, : fib, pretentious nonsense.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program

Date: April 16, 2020 04:31PM

I just repeated my first experiment with the same set-up but with an 11' surf rod and a 6 oz. weight. The results were the same. The arc of the rod was the same no matter how many or how few guides the line passed through as the arc of the rod with the 6 oz. weight suspended from the tip-top alone. Don't take my word for it, test it for yourselves. I might be doing something wrong, or overlooking something.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2020 06:12PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Date: April 16, 2020 06:14PM

Here's a thought Phil ..... using the CCS as your vehicle, do a test to determine the IP of one of the rods you used for your ..... experiment. Convert the amount of weight it took to deflect the rod 1/3 of its length and convert that weight to ounces. Once you've done that, use that amount of weight for your experiment, and report back your results.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 16, 2020 07:00PM

When checking for guide placement, I simply place the tip of the rod against the ceiling of the work room and pull back on the butt of the rod. Then, I use pieces of masking tape to mark appropriate guide locations and wrap the guides on those locations.
To double check, I put a reel on the rod, run the line through the guides and tip top and with the blank fully deflected, reel in about 100 feet of line under light pressure to insure that the line path is correct and is being properly supported by guides as needed.

No need for weights. No need for pictures. No need for diagrams.

Simple and it works correctly every single time.

Take care

Date: April 17, 2020 09:33AM

Decreasing spaces between decreasing size guides does indeed result in a nice-looking rod. I secure the guides to the blank with a few wraps of elastic thread and a square knot. This allows me to slide the guides up and down the blank until they look the best. Guide placement will not change the static bend of the blank, but leveraged weight certainly will influence the speed of the blank.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2020 02:06PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Date: April 18, 2020 05:08PM

Ben: I clamped the handle of the rod in place securely. Even breaking the blank would not move the rod butt. I marked the position of the rod tip with the same 3 oz. weight suspended from its tip
both times. Instead of critiquing my efforts why don't YOU try the same easy experiment - and reveal your findings?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 18, 2020 05:56PM

Dennis,
This craft is called Custom Rod building.
Every single job in constructing a fishing rod can be executed in many different ways.

It is fine to listen to ideas from different folks that have a method or technique that works for that particular individual.

But, just because that individual does a job in a particular fashion does NOT mean that that method that you need to use to complete a job.

When you want to do a job, research the various ways that different folks complete that particular task. Then, take an idea from this person or that person or another book or video. Then, build the rod and enjoy the results.

When complete use it and enjoy it. Then, when you build another rod, either use the same or entirely different techniques.

If a rod get built to your satisfaction it is a wonderful job. if it is not built to your satisfaction, it is still a wonderful job that may need to be done again. But, never fear - any thing that is build can be unbuilt and built again.

Be safe

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 18, 2020 07:22PM

just to add to Roger,s thoughts..rod,s can be built so that they are easier to remake..such as using cp on guide wraps which makes it easier to remove and clean up the blank after guide removal..using shorter urethane arbors under real seat making it easier to cut seat off with a notched brass tube..the seat can be reused..or using eva grips but flock them for grip comfort and a better look..eva is cheap and easy to cut off..but if you sell rods, things are different..lol.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster